Put a Raymarine X-5 autopilot on my Lund Alaskan 18SSC

Dukdog

Put a Raymarine X-5 autopilot on my Lund Alaskan 18SSC, I got a recommend for this model from one of the guys on the Lake Champlain United Forum.

I did the installation and setup myself.. Not real difficult and the unit works like a champ! I couldn't be more pleased with the result. It's pretty cool to put your boat up on plane at 30 mph and be able to leave it to OTTO!!

My kicker is turned by a crossbar to my 60 Yamaha and there is no problem with the X-5 controlling both units.

I tried it on a trolling run and you can set your heading then go back to setting rods and riggers with worry about wind or waves turning you around. I'm very happy with this unit!

DSCN1325.jpg

Any tips to calibating it on the water? I just put one in my Lund Fisherman to replace the old Sportpilot that died. Looks the same as yours except mine has a rotary knob on the controller. I'm just a but concerned because when I fire it up in my garage it comes up with a hardware error message.. which clears, but the controller reads about 320 degrees and the boats heading 180! We'll give it a wet test soon. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

The older X-5 (last year) was recalled because the gears failed and locked up. I had one and it worked ok for me but was noisy. Make sure you don't buy an old one by mistake. I sold that boat and got the re-designed X-5 for my new boat in April 2011. It works just fine, a little noisy but all auto helms are, and I also have the wireless remote which makes life a lot easier. There are 2 versions of the remote (I have had both) and currently I have the version that displays lots of data that I cannot use. The other version of remote is just for steering and has useful pattern and steering options. I can keep a good course trolling at 2MPH with my 27 foot Eastern on the big engine. With remote ($400+ for remote) the system is $2300-$2500 depending on vender. Defender Industries usually has the best price. Read the manual carefully and the install is quite easy. The calibration and settings are a little complex put well explained in the user manual. The hardest part for me (having installed 4 of them) has been getting the steering wheel off...finally bought a wheel puller tool at NAAP...too easy!

I bought mine from marine deals also and had it installed by anchor marine in erie, found out they have them there and are raymarine certified techs. install was about five hundred, this is great on my 26' four winns, noisey ya but great to have. good luck with yours.

Got my X5 yesterday and installed today on my 23' Trophy. Installed it myself in about four hours, and it went extremely well. Tried it out this afternoon and it worked great. Great boat control while setting lines, really a pleasure on my first time out with it.