just bought rods and reels a few more questions

So thanks to all the great info on here I know alittle about what ill need to get into the kings this year. I had planned on going with daiwa 47lcs with starfire rods but walked into gander today and got them to match last weekends deal for 47lcs with wilderness rods 64.99 without a rebate.

i know the wilderness isnt a great rod but it was a great deal so ill give them a try. I got two 9 foot 6 med heavy and 2 8 foot 6 medium. is the 86 too light for the downriggers with 30 lb test? if they are I will use the 96 for the riggers and purchase 2 10 foot 6 mh starfire rods for the wire divers. i planned on using the 8 foot 6 wilderness for walleye and brown trout either way.

I also planned on getting the 19 strand torpedo wire. is a traditional twillie tip going to do it or do i need the expensive torpedo one? thanks guys

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

awesome info thanks guys. should i put 30lb on them right away and run a leader for browns or should i spool it with 20lb and then strip half and put 30lb later when fleas come? as for the torpedo wire i have no experience i was just getting it because thats what brettsplaceonthebay had. now i feel like i dont even need to place an order.

what shop is worth the drive from syracuse so i can fill up my tackle box with all the spoons/flashers flys that i need and also buy the downrigger weights i need. i dont mind driving a few hours and spending a bunch to buy the lures that will actually work.

ill be in the henderson bay area this week for browns and i planned on stopping at henchen marina for brown and walleye spoons and stickbaits and then hitting up one of the big stores for the rest of the gear ill need for kings.

so pretty much the best shop for downrigger ball/dipseys/lures/wire and info. thanks im getting excited!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Jon's, Woody's , Fat Nancy's are all in the Pulaski and Port Ontario area. All Seasons is in Pulaski also. Jon's is on 104b near the boat launch. Woody's is at the end of RT 13 where it hits Rt 3 in Port Ontario. The other two are at the Rt 81 north exit for Pulaski

Jon's, Woody's , Fat Nancy's are all in the Pulaski and Port Ontario area. All Seasons is in Pulaski also. Jon's is on 104b near the boat launch. Woody's is at the end of RT 13 where it hits Rt 3 in Port Ontario. The other two are at the Rt 81 north exit for Pulaski

thanks! I need wire,downrigger weights and a ton of tackle because I essentially have none for salmon haha. Also wondered which size and color dipseys I should be picking up?I think im going to spool with 20lb on two of the 47lcs for now and Laster on when I need to switch for fleas strip some and put 30lb on there. 30 is alittle heavy for brown trout and itd be nice to be able to use them for dipseys or bottom bouncers on oneida.

I still have a bunch to go but I feel like ill be ready soon and can get some brown trout action in up at henderson to practice.

I wouldn't worry about line size for browns; 30 lb is fine because you'll be stepping way down with a flourocarbon leader. I use about 8 feet of 10 or 12 pound flourocarbon. You can use longer leaders if you are uncomfortable with heavier line. I haven't found the browns to be shy of a heavy main line. Lots of guys have dedicated brown sets but, that comes with time and money. As you are just gearing up, I recommend you spool up for the kings and leader-down for browns. I might recommend spooling with 25 lb Big Game. It is thinner than 30# meaning you can get more on the 47's, which don't hold a lot of thick mono. I don't seem to collect more fleas with 25 versus 30#.

Black dipsies, size #1 with ring.

13 lb torpedo wieghts if your riggers can handle them.