First Wire Dipsy Rig - Question

I wanted to fish a Dipsy Diver rig on my boat this year so this is what I got:

Reel: Okuma Convector CV30D

Rod: 9' Dispy Rod - Cabelas

Line: Opti-Tackle 1000' 7 strand 30# stainless wire

Question: (read tons and still want an opinion)

Should I use all the 1000' wire on the reel with no backing? Also do I need a leader or can the wire go to the Dipsy and then run mono to lure?

Thanks for your time.

Eric

The wire goes to the diver with a QUALITY SWIVEL. Run a 25 to 30lb leader from your diver to the lure. Snubbers are not neccessary unless you are fishing lighter leaders. You do not need backing but a full spool will make for a more accurate counter on the reel.

You definitely want some backing or electrical tape around the spool before you put on the wire, gives the wire something to hold onto otherwise it will not wind very tight. When you spool up the wire you have to really wind it on as tight as you can to avoid kinks etc..

Best thing to do once you get it out on the water is hook a 1lb weight to the swivel, let it out and reel it back in to wind it tight on the reel. This will take some time but is definitely worth it in the long run.

Wire is frustrating at first but worth the effort.

Full reels work better. The 30D's can hold a lot of line. IIR, I have several hundred yards of 30# Big Game under 1000 feet of wire. I had several big guys get well into the backing last year including an LOC placed king.

"If it is not mono back it with mono", is a good adage.

Also, I would run bigger line than 25 or 30 between diver and lure. The line that comes with most flies is 40 or 50 pound, so it is proven that the fish are not spooked by line.

With respect to knots at the swivel I used to use two crimps to connect the wire. Now I use the half hitch, overhand knot method and it is much easier to tie.

Not to disagree with rod buster but 30lb mono is all you need between dipsy and flasher fly, but it is a matter of preference and debate. Lol. Correct me if I'm wrong but big weenie and atommik use 50 lb flurocarbon to create the right whipping action behind the flasher.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

As IRISH56 says, you need some backing to get bite! I use duct tape, basically tie the wire around the spool and then tape a 1" to 2" wide section of duct tape over the wire and wrap around, overlapping at least once. Then start reeling in the wire nice and tight - do this correctly and you will be happy - not too fast, until you get the hang of it.

1000 ft of wire is all you need with the duct tape backing.

Wire goes straigth to the dipsey and I support the above - hooked in via a good quality quick connect swivel.

I use 30# fluorocarbon as my leads - it is more invisible in water than mono. If you are going from a dispey to lure - put 10 ft of it on. If you are going to a flasher put around 5 or 6 feet of it on, then whatever you need to the fly or artificial bait - as per instructions.