reel in for 500 and 600 copper

What's everyone using for reels for there 500-600 copper. I have 1 tekota 800. But I don't think I can fit 300 yrds of backing with 500 copper on it. The penn 345 is slow as hell. I use clarion 553ls for my 300-400. But can't get 500 on them

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Use your 800 Tekota with 400 or 450 feet of copper and add dive bombs. 400 with a 4oz bomb will get you to 500 territory and 450 copper with the 4oz bomb will get you to 600 territory. Dive bombs are cheep and add flexibility to shorter coppers. Tekotas are much better than the Penn 345's and, you have one. Tekota 800 will hold 300 yards of PP backing and 400 CU. A bit less backing with the 450 CU. I find my 600 stays dry most of the time while my 300 - 450 coppers stay wet with dive bombs. The fish don't know the difference but, your arm will certainly recognize the difference.

I haven't experienced that at all. You might have your answer. I always let them out fairly slowly. I let out 2/3 of the copper fairly briskly then attach the DB. I then usually set the rod in a chute holder and let the drag work it out like a dipsy to keep things going smoothly. I want them running normally when I attach them to boards. Dive bombs change the angle the copper runs so, you need to think about the hydraulics and how they run or you can cross up other lines. I switch to mag dipsies when using dive bombs off boards to ensure they clear the dipsies as they cross over.

I have 500 ft on an 800 from Atomic.

Go to Atomic website and if you can't find the information on how much backing to use give Tom a call and I'm sure he would help you out with the details because I don't remeber exactly what he put on for backing

He's a good guy when it comes to helping you out with information.

I've never come close to being spooled on the 500 copper and thats with a couple fish better than 30 lbs.

You can run the drags a little tighter on the Tekotas because they are silky smooth.

Good luck.

Glen

I have 500 ft on an 800 from Atomic.

I've never come close to being spooled on the 500 copper

Good luck.

Glen

Same as Glen, 500's on an 800 from Tom, I think he told me the yards of backing but I don't remember at this point. I have never come close to spooling on any fish, usually the fish is just as tired as I am after reeling...

j

You do not have to use a levelwind for copper, get yourself a low end #50 reel and load it up. I figure that if a drunken fisherman in Mexico can land a 1000# marlin on the reel, my clients should be able to winch in a 6 pound steelhead or 30# king!!! I am using a big 2speed, lever drag okuma, not overly expensive but very effective. With 50# power pro backing I have never had a fish run much backing off a 600'. There is a lot of drag for our small sized fish.