Problem with releases

I recently tried a couple Black's releases and was pretty excited about the ability to adjust tension to the rod and tension to the bait separately. However when I used them I could not keep the lines from tangling. It almost looked like they were making the downrigger balls track differently. Any suggestions???

The release is not going to effect where your ball tracks. The position of the rod holder will effect the ball location slightly based on the angle the force of a loaded rod is applied. More likely you were dealing with down currents.

Is the line tangled so it will not release ?

if so

You have to keep an eye on them when you drop them in the water. They can twist around the rigger line............my chute rigger is the worst , I have to keep the rod loaded some and that keeps the release from tangling with the rigger line.

Your probably right. Never thought of that....especially considering the new releases allow for more tension from the rod to the release and my rod holders are the cannons that mount on the shaft of the downrigger and the inside ones are angled towards the center of the boat. Thanks!!

What kind of balls are you using and what type of releases were you using; how did you connect them?

I think Gil had only half of the story. I agree a Blacks release shouldn't effect ball tracking, however; switching from a pinch pad or Scottie release attached to the back of a directional wieght can make a huge difference when switching to a Blacks. Pinch pad and Scottie releases connected to the balls act as a big kite tail which significantly affects a ball's track. If you have set up bent fins to track with Scottie releases and then switch to Blacks releases, you may have big problems.

I have 10lb pancake balls and I have been using the Off Shore pinch pad releases. I usually stack and put the bottom rod in the inside holder which would likely make the ball track outside a little more as the tail is being pulled towards the center (and those have a big tail). I think I'll switch the rod positions and see if that helps or maybe go to a different style ball.

I have 10lb pancake balls and I have been using the Off Shore pinch pad releases. I usually stack and put the bottom rod in the inside holder which would likely make the ball track outside a little more as the tail is being pulled towards the center (and those have a big tail). I think I'll switch the rod positions and see if that helps or maybe go to a different style ball.

Sounds like this is your problem. Work the tails of the pancakes so they track the way you want with the Blacks releases. Pancakes will run significantly differently when using a Blacks releases off the rigger cable versus an off shore release off the back of the fin. Stacking shouldn't cause too much impact once you get your balls adjusted for the Blacks releases. If you want new balls, the 13 lb topedo balls are great. They track nice and straight.

I have seen problems with pancake weight years ago and switch to the 12 lb fish type - the pancake type can wander alot and are affected by the currents below and in turns they tend to float to the outsides and then return rather quickly and have crossed.

As far as blacks, you must take care when first lowering the weight so they don't twist around the steel cable and how the blacks are installed can be an issue - they need to float loosely on the steel cable - if cripped on the steel cable place a steel or plastic ball on each side of the crip so the black can float - the crip can actually get jammed into the black preventing it to swivel properly. Hope this helps ya.

Capt. Paul

Switch to sharks weights, your problems will disappear. Another option would be run your bottom release a foot up your cable, With a really good dual swivel--on each end of the connector cable so if the ball spins hopefully it stops at the swivel.

Hi Hal, Hard to say what problem is with out seeing the way the release is set up. Do you have the release hooked to the ball, or is it on the cable? This year I dumped all my blacks that hook to the ball. I also run 4 riggers with two pancakes on the outside. I got the blacks that you run the rigger cable threw. Put those on with a bead and a crimp two feet above the ball. Helps on the back also, the ball stays in the water when I put the line in the blacks, and you have no pull on the rigger weights. Might be worth a try before you buy new rigger weights. We blew big money on black sharks this year ran them for three weeks. When jason and I put the old 12lb led weights back on the riggers took off again. Who knows? I also have the torpedo weights they work also I do have one that will spin that is just a problem with the one weight. Good luck and let us know how you make out :yes: Sean

Thanks a ton for the advice. I did have them hooked right to the ball and moving them up may also be an option. Headed out Saturday. We'll see how it goes. Would really like to not have all the lures from the 4 rigger rods come back to the boat in one big ball.

Hi Hal, Hard to say what problem is with out seeing the way the release is set up. Do you have the release hooked to the ball, or is it on the cable? This year I dumped all my blacks that hook to the ball. I also run 4 riggers with two pancakes on the outside. I got the blacks that you run the rigger cable threw. Put those on with a bead and a crimp two feet above the ball. Helps on the back also, the ball stays in the water when I put the line in the blacks, and you have no pull on the rigger weights. Might be worth a try before you buy new rigger weights. We blew big money on black sharks this year ran them for three weeks. When jason and I put the old 12lb led weights back on the riggers took off again. Who knows? I also have the torpedo weights they work also I do have one that will spin that is just a problem with the one weight. Good luck and let us know how you make out :yes: Sean

Even though I don't have a problem with my Black's releases hooked to the ball, I should think of making this switch since I'm not getting any younger and it's a pain (literally) to be bending over like that so many times a trip. Thanks for the tip!

Black's are meant to go either on the cable or between the ball and the cable. Don't put any release on the fin of the weight as the drag of the lure will "back" steer the weight & cause tangles.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I have fished the black's releases and they were very nice until I found Chamberlin releases....best on the market IMO...that and about a buck will get you some coffee. Go to any search engine and type in chamberlin releases and watch the video's. They are a little pricey but are much cheaper than new weights. Sounds like your problem is solved with your weights but thought I would mention the Chamberlins...I will not fish Black's anymore.

Black's are meant to go either on the cable or between the ball and the cable. Don't put any release on the fin of the weight as the drag of the lure will "back" steer the weight & cause tangles.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I don't attach them to the fin. I attach them between the ball and the cable. Not sure if your answer was meant for me or not?

Hal,

Those pancake style weights were a nightmare on my Trophy. I gave them away and bought those 12lb torpedos off of Troutman. They run really great behind my boat. Good luck. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

By the way, I just started running a couple of Chamberlains and really like them so far....allthough the Blacks are fine.

I'm going to go back to the one shark weight and another regular ball for now and probably order a set of torpedoes. That along with adjusting where I place the rods and we'll see what happens. As soon as I get what I need I'm also going to try to move the release up as Sean suggested. After doing some more research I ordered a pair of Chamberlians...I like the magnet idea for the light bite. You guys cost me more $$$$$ everytime you help me. Thanks again for all the help. It's greatly appreciated!!!!

We switched to Chamberlain releases last year and won't use anything else now. We've only had 2 hitch hikers since we made the switch. Their stacker release is awesome too!

Kyle

Like the others have said don't hook the release to the hole in the tailfin on the weight. The preload on the rod pulls the tail over and tries to steer the weight. The Blacks I have the clip run through the release and clips to the main eye on the weight. That way the weight can track tru and move with the boat turns and currents.