Oneida Walleyes

Fish Hunter

Set down near the "hump" and the screen was loaded, and shortly there after, full of boats as well.

Got my stickbait groove going, and jointed Rapala firetiger 7 and 9's did the damage.

A few came on blue 7 jointed, and grabbed 2 on the chute rod 100 ft out, pulling a Cordell Wally Diver.

How many? Lost count.

Surface temp was 70-71.

Did those fish in 36-40 fow, 25-30 down.

Oneida Lake is SMOKIN'.

Hi Guys,

looking for some advice on Onieda lake. Me and my friend are going to try and fish there this weekend for walleye and Bass. we have never been to this lake before and we dont have a GPS on the boat yet. we r going to pick up a good lake chart before we go. and based on what i have heard on here we are going to try to fish the south east side of the lake first for walleye. from what i heard any "hazards" on this lake are pretty well marked. but is this lake pretty easy to navigate overall? were fishing out of a 16ft boat, with a trolling motor and a fish finder, and we dont have downriggers. We dont normally target walleyes where we fish.....whats our best bet for hooking into some good walleye right now? bottom bouncers with a worm harness? rapalas? sonars? any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Navagation channel for large boats is market with red and green bouys rougly down the center of the lake, these are numbered and will show on your hotspots map. Some of these are large shoals and will be on dry humps so know which side you need to be on. Without a GPS alot of guys use these numbered bouys for orientation around the lake. Around the outside of the lake other shoal/shallow hazards are marked pretty well with white bouys. Alot of these reflect at night but not all so be aware.

I have done alot better this year on bucktail with a half worm over sonars but both work while drifting, trolling with stickbaits is good if you have the gear and can get to the fish. Leadcore and snap weights are better than downriggers for me if you want to troll. For jigging pick up a pack some trailer hooks, at times it means the difference between 6 fish or 1 fish. If there is wind look for the shackelton shoal area (can't miss it, there will be 50 other boats there on a weekend) And to get a slow drift going, it never hurts to put down some worm harnesses to bounce bottom behind your drift while you work the jig in front of your drift. Look over the map and find some structure before you go. Set up upwind and drift it and see what you find.

Pet peeve of mine, don't run over to the first boat you see land a fish or 2, it gets really annoying to have someone new watch you get fish and then run upwind and get in the way of your next drift over your GPS marks. These fish are everywhere, shallow weeds, deep flats, structure,,,, EVERYWHERE, they are not just under the other guys boat and it is a big lake out there.

Have fun.

j

Awesome thank you for the info...much appreciated! :yes::yes::yes:

we dont have a lead core rod to set up, and i have never used snap weights before. we are pretty much limited to Bass/Pike Gear and lures.

is there a certain range of depth we should stick to? or can they be found at all depths?

Thanks Again!

Be careful on Oneida, as it is so shallow, it can blow up real quick.

Harnesses, are a solid bet, and have caught my largest Walleyes on them.

Perch pattern blades, hammered silver, and purple seem to work for us.

If you catch silver bass,(and you probably will) those those in the livewell too.

They taste great. :yes:

Scott

i set up near the hump this am and the screen was loaded , bait schools and roving schools of eyes all over top to bottom , 40 fow , 5 colors stright back , chrome blades blood red hooks , only bad thing is the limits come too quick , oneida is definatly smokin.... hope it keeps up . peace and tight lines.......

Sounds like everything is working. That's good news since we're headed over there tomorrow morning. Gonna launch at DEC ramp off 31. Wind supposed to be SSE. Should be able to drift from LP Shoal to Shackleton. Maybe we'll get someof the fish we missed in the OLTWT tourney.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

If the limits are coming too quick that's a pretty darn good problem to have. Trolling though? No thanks. Personally, I never have found enjoyment in dredging for fish, especially walleye and especially if the bite is hot.