Had an interesting weekend where the Carmel Dolphin Spin Doc pounded the others by 10 to 1. Caught over 30 fish and lost many others including a heartbreaker that grabbed the fly and set off on a 400' run like a locomotive. Snapped my leader and was gone. Only thing that came close to the Carmel Dolphin SD was the Crazy B*tch SD and it wasn't that close. When I went through my two Carmel Dolphin flies and then a Crazy B*tch fly behind the Carmel Dolphin Spin Doc, I started to use whatever fly I had and it seemed to make no difference. Whatever fly I stuck behing the Carmel Dolphin Spin Doc took a pounding. So my question is; does the fly make that much of a difference? It didn't seem to this weekend.

Doug

I have a hypothesis that only the primary color of the fly matters. For instance if the fish are hitting a green fly you could grab any green fly and it will do as well as any other.

My suggestion would be to pick several combos and keep track of what conditions they work under -- then fish them at those times.

one of the things overlooked by many when changing the s/d is the flash factor. Was the other side of the primary color on the s/d mirror or crinkle or is the edges mirrored and if the sun was out or not. The mirror flash can be a bit intimidating to fish if it is bright and fishing clear water on a sunny day. I have had the bite on a particular fly change because of the flash of a chrome sided s/d over a crinkle glow or plain white back even though the primary color was the same and the fly was the same that was producing.

So my question is; does the fly make that much of a difference?

Doug

While I have a personnal opinion that on alot of days if you put something/anything with good color and good action, at the right speed, in front of the fish they are going to hammer it. I know we have all seen the days when a color is hot, like when green is on and anything with some krinkle green will take fish. If they are down there they will hit.

However I also know that on cetain days the fly color does make a big difference.

From personnal experience I know that on some days a Glow B-fly will produce strike after strike behind multiple flashers but after a mangled up leader you change to a non glow B-fly and it will not take a release behind the same set-ups. And oddly not on overcast or lowlight days that the glow fly outproduces...

I've also seen that on some bright days a Cpt Valium down with 3 different flies at the same time will only take fish on one certain fly. All of the other flies were proven producers behind a valium on other days, even tried adjusting the leader thinking that the action was different cause a leader might have been longer and shorter. Added the UV fly that was hot on another rig and bang away.

I need to keep a better log too, to many details just get lost. in the mix.

j

I tend to agree with put it in front of them and they'll hit it. We had a hot dipsey this past weekend at 220' out. At 230' out it wouldnt get hit... made no sense to me, but we proved it twice. Perhaps the dodger fly that was hot was just in that "perfect" spot.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

There's days when something has a bit of a preference over something else. but on most days, I have fish hitting on greens, blues, purples, etc.

Last time I went out, over a 1.5 hour period - 5 hits.

2 on green crinkle fly

1 on bloody death fly (purple and red)

1 on NGK lure (green and silver)

1 on purple thunder lure (purple and black)

Try and work that one out.