20 lb king from a kayak at Sandy

flyboy7

I enjoy my kayak but I'm not brave enough to be that far out on Lake Ontario in one. We were in that neighborhood yesterday afternoon but that was in an 18 ft Starcraft, 120 hp outboard, 5 hp kicker, vhf radio, etc...

I tip my cap in your general direction 8)

Sandy_Creek_244_fow.jpg

I'll try to answer all the questions and comments.

The kayak is a Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14.5'. Native Watercraft now makes them.

Yes that is 244 FOW. My Humminbird GPS/fish finder said I was 4.0 miles from the mouth of Sandy Creek when I decided to head back later from 250 FOW.

I don't consider myself brave. I take many precautions such as: I use a on top style kayak which can be easily reentered if I fall out (I have practiced this too), paddle leash so my paddle stays with me if I were to drop it or flip, bright colored kayak with big orange flag for visibility to boaters, always wear a PFD, GPS, compass, waterproof hand held VHF radio (leashed to the kayak), cell phone in dry compartment, I double check the weather forecasts and won't go out if conditions even look iffy, I make sure someone knows where I am launching from and when I plan to be home.

Yes it was a blast as I ended up landing 2 of 4 in 6 hours of paddling (the other fish landed was a 10 lb coho at 215 FOW). I am sure the Sandy Creek boaters will see more of me this summer.

That is absolutley awsome!! I have seen you out there a few times and have even tried to give you a shout on the radio but no answer so not sure it was you but i no there is not that many people who are willing to put that kind of effort in like you do! We are out there every Wednesday evening and weekends so give a call if your out.

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Matt,

I always have my radio on when I am on the water. I am out when calm weather allows. Maybe my squelch is set too high. If you see my gray Escape in the parking lot (kayak rack with blue pool noodles) you know I am somewhere. Give a shout. I was actually there the last two Wednesdays. I can't go out too far in the evenings since it takes a while to get back to shore. Long distance trips have to start in the AM.

Tight lines!

Nice fish :yes: I saw you out there in 220 fow and we said that guys nuts. I had a neighbor that lost his brother unfortunately to the Big O while out Kayaking years ago ;( . Never found him ;( Sounds like you are very careful. Be safe out there and I will keep my eyes out for you. Let me know when you are going out again and if I am out there at least we can keep in contact :yes:

By the way shoes are ok with me

That's great! I took one in my Kayak a few years back when the Salmon started running Sandy Creek. It pulled me around pretty good. I could only imagine what a fresh Lake King would be able to do.

• 7 months later...

Hi, Im a kayaker too, I have a Tarpon 160, I was wondering at what depth were you actually hooking the fish and how do you get your lures to stay at that chosen depth? I presume that you were trolling.

That was a long time ago so I can't remember the depth at which I was trolling - probably between 65 and 85' down at that time of year. I use a Fish Hawk TD to locate the thermocline and use a dipsy diver to get my lure (usually flasher/fly) down to depth.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...