Lowrance HDS-5 GEN2 COMBO

LEEUWEN1

Triedout my new Lowrance HDS-5 the other day and was unable to lock onto any satellites. Am I doing something wrong? I red the manual over and over and it's about as clear as mud. Is a antenna recomended? If so what one. I'm not networking, just trying to get the one unit to work. Any ideas?

The internal antenna should work as long as it can see the satellites, windshield and canvas shouldn't be causing any problems but it might not work inside a building or surrounded by trees. Try checking the way your system is setup:

Go to "Settings", then "Network" and check under "Data Source" to make sure the internal GPS is activated then go to "Device List" and make sure WAAS is disabled.

There is an external antenna available, LGC 4000, but that also requires a NMEA 2000 network and you shouldn't need it.

If you decide the solution is that you need an external antenna i would recommend against getting the Lowrance antenna. Ive seen more Lowrance antennas fail then all others combined.

The greatest thing about NMEA is that everything pretty much works together. If your adding an external GPS antenna to your Lowrance you can buy a Garmin, Raymarine, or Maretron and its all plug and play. If your looking to save some money your can go with a NMEA 0183 antenna, this will be a little more difficult to hook up but again less money. IF all you want to do is plug it in and have it work then NMEA 2000 is the way to go.

Lowrance tec said let it run for 4 to 6 hrs. as sometimes the first time can take several hours to find the satalites. So I parked it in the middle of my hay lot way away from trees and buildings, an guess what. No luck at all. Today it went in a box for a ride back to Tulsa. I,ll let you know what they find.