Thinking of trying Copper

Wanted some thoughts on copper. I never tried wire until reading info on this site. After much help and learning, wire is my go to set up. I am thinking of trying copper. Not a wide boat (18' 84 Blue fin) so I normally run 2 wires and stack 4 lines on 2 riggers. I have a brand new Daiwa Sealine SG47LC and wonder if it okay for copper? Do you use special rods for copper? Can I fish it straight back flat lining? If you hook a screamer on a rigger does it get tangled with flat lined copper? I am new to copper and any help is appreciated. If my boat is not a good fit for copper than I will just stick with my 6 rod set up. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Rick

copper can be effective can also ( mostly ) be a pain in the ass

no your reel isnt big enough

yes you can run it down the shute...yes it will tangle

i suggest if your gonna try it get a Z-line or a new church board big enough to handle it and pull it off that to get it out away from your spread

there is days our copper rods are the only ones to take fish...also days it never fires

i run 500 / 400 /300 /200..... if i was gonna run just one it would be the 400....gets ya somewhere between 85-95 depending on what your pulling/speed/currents

good luck

i feel ya info from this site has gotten me to try lead core and wire dipseys this year espically they have combined for the most fish with the short cores being the best my next one to try is copper but I may wait to see if i can get a bigger boat first. if that takes to long than i will be looking for a 400 copper

• 2 weeks later...

should everyone be fishing copper... yes. If you have or already fish leadcore then you will realize the similarities quickly. Copper gives you an opportunity to fish a flasher/fly in a " leadcore like" pattern. Will you get tangles? Im sure but i almost always fish a chute rod. weather its leadcore or copper and tangles are rare. i would easily sacrifice one or even two of your rigger rods for coppers. 2 riggers, 2 coppers, 2 divers = more kings in the boat! Simply put if your king fishing then your need to have copper in the water. 300' copper would be a great place to start.

FYI your Daiwa 47 will fit 200' of copper with braid backer.

Okuma makes a great copper rod https://www.okumafishing.com/product/vi ... nvector-gl

There have been days when my copper and lead core have easily produced the most fish. I'd say overall, those lines probably outproduce the riggers, but again, every day is different. If the fishing is slow and you have someone to clear the copper quickly, then by all means use it. You'll find out how bad it can get when you double or triple and are trying to keep those fish apart though. Be prepared for some extended untangling and cursing, but it's worth it.