Scary to take a 16' alum on one of the bigger lakes?

Would you guys recommend against throwing a 16' aluminum deep-V like this one in one of the bigger lakes, like Seneca or Keuka? It does fine on Hemlock/Canadice but I'm a little nervous about how bad it would get if a little windy or with wake from bigger boats/pwc's, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts!

On the right day it would be fine on any lake even Big o as long as you don't go to far cause the lakes can change fast, Seneca can also be squirrely, you would be fine on Keuka, Honeoye, Conesus, Canan etc. just about any day but storms

I go out on lake ontario in Small aluminum,Just Depends on what your Comfortable with? Can you swim if you were ever to Capsize? Do you Have a Good Quality lif Jacket with a whistle attached for everyone on Board. Flares? Fire Extinquisher? Those Boats will do just fine on those small finger lakes,Just keep an eye on the weather.Do you have a VHF Radio so you can listen for Nasty weather coming through? Gotta Be Prepared, Safety first and Good Fishing!

I've had my 16dt sea nymph in most of the finger lakes, michigan,erie and ontario. Watch the weather, have faith in your motor, have a good anchor/sea bag. Last year we got into some 6 to 7 footers on erie that came outta nowhere with no warning which turned out to be my scariest day boating ever. Just be careful and use common sense

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I've had my 16dt sea nymph in most of the finger lakes, michigan,erie and ontario. Watch the weather, have faith in your motor, have a good anchor/sea bag. Last year we got into some 6 to 7 footers on erie that came outta nowhere with no warning which turned out to be my scariest day boating ever. Just be careful and use common sense

that sounds awful!

Just be mindful of the wind, watch the roll, when it starts to pick up a little move in closer to shore or even the channel. I troll out to 225fow on calm days in my deep V 16 no problem but have some experience with other fisherman in bigger boats also.

This helps, I've fished in much larger boats during conditions that I would NEVER venture out in my 16...not worth it

Learn which wind direction is best of course offshore winds or light and steady only run out there when you are sure they are conditions you can handle.

If there is any doubt...no go man..trailer down to a smaller lake and drop the hammer on em because you can ;)8)

I fish out of a 14 footer in all the lakes even big o its all about watching the wind if its blowing fish the calm side of the lake only if you have any doubts about your motor get an electric and stay where that can get you to shore its a great tool for controlled fishing also. If u plan to troll. Planer boards are a big plus I have an entirely homade mast I made for 20a bucks and homemade boards I inheareted from the 80s I caan troll 6 rods pretty easy if you want ill send some pics im all about the small boater

that sounds awful!

prop hit bottom when we were trying to get out in what is normally 12' of water... erie has certainly earned my respect from now on

Just my 2 cents. I would not recommend "geneus" consider Lake Ontario. I do agree a 16' boat can handle a lot of water with an experianced boater. But simply asking the question suggests He would be better off getting some more tiller time on the smaller lakes before venturing out on bigger water.

Just my 2 cents. I would not recommend "geneus" consider Lake Ontario. I do agree a 16' boat can handle a lot of water with an experianced boater. But simply asking the question suggests He would be better off getting some more tiller time on the smaller lakes before venturing out on bigger water.

Amen! White caps on Canadice sent us running for the shore pretty fast this morning! Not fun.

I saw a guy out of Sodus on Lake O yesterday and today about 3 miles offshore in a boat that could not have been bigger than 14' with a small tiller motor n it. He was at least 3 miles offshore. ...and today was getting pretty snotty out there.

if you have a boat with enough dependable horsepower to get you out of the bigger waves which is usually the max reccomended hp, a good 1000gph bilge pump, you should be able to point her into any big waves you might encounter to stay afloat. Trying to cross waves or ride with them is a death wish in a smaller open tiller boat

Just to weigh in. I have a 16 foot deep V. I take it on all the fingers. Watch the weather and don't go out if it calls for more than 15 mph of wind. I have ventured on Lake Ontario but I feel way too vulnerable out there. One day I trolled "O" in 3 foot waves and just felt really beat up by the end of the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Braved Canandaigua and Keuka in the past few weeks. Winds were under 8mph, and weather was fair; even with some rambunctious boat traffic, felt pretty safe in my little 16'-er! :yes:

Now, reading the amazing reports from Lake O, I've got King fever :( and I'm sort of obsessed with the idea of going out there and catching one of those monsters...

So, if there's such a thing, can someone recommend a "safer" area where to go out of on Lake O in a smaller boat? The I-bay launch is closest to where I live. How far out will I have to go before I hit fishable depths? I'll invest in a VHF radio and try to befriend someone on a larger boat just for safety's sake...

Thanks for the continuing advice...

I routinely fish Lake O out of my 16'Lund - was out today . Watch forecast and err on side of caution .

I would suggest fishing out of Sandy Creek - great & protected launch, easy access to deeper water - its a long run from I Bay to deeper water and there are many 'Marine challenged' boaters that use that launch

I routinely fish Lake O out of my 16'Lund - was out today . Watch forecast and err on side of caution .

I would suggest fishing out of Sandy Creek - great & protected launch, easy access to deeper water - its a long run from I Bay to deeper water and there are many 'Marine challenged' boaters that use that launch

That adds some confidence, thank you! How long of a run is it out of Sandy Creek? It's not much farther for me than to I-Bay.

The genny is probably the calmest place on the lake during a west wind as it's basically in a protected cove, however very flat so you have to go out about 4 miles right now. (where it's not quite so protected.)

With a small boat, it's best to get out real early. i.e launch 5 am latest. That's when the lake is calmest. Winds generally pick up a little around 9-9:30. Generally, I'd forget that afternoon fishing out that far in a open boat.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you think its scary to go out in the small boat I think you should stay off the big lake thill you have more confindence in your boat, theres no room to panic out there if you get cought in a sudden wind change or a storm. be safe and good luck. ;) .