Ankle biting flies

With the warm weather over the weekend came the arrival of the ankle biters. In my limited experience on the lake I have found that the most effective protection is a pair of thick wool hunting socks. I use the bass pro lifetime socks. AND waterproof shoes.

The trade off is that they are hot, but no more bites.

Get yourself a batery powered fly swatter from Harbor Freight. Sounds like a bug zapper when you swat one. You can use some tape or zip tie to keep the button depressed and set it down and it'll work by itself when they land on it - a little revenge every time you hear the "ZAP"! Of course, if you don't like the smell of fried flies......get some wool socks and hold the fish up high when taking pics 8)

Shawn

All I know is if you use fly repellent like deep woods off or the like....they bite harder :@ and don't they seem to bite just when you have a big king on screaming line out and then you get the indian fly biting my feet dance going :dance::ninja::swear::bug::bug::bug::bug::bug::bug::bow::@

I've never tried this but my father in law swears by putting dryer sheats in his shoes let them hang out on both sides but like FX said point the camers high when taking pictures.... :lol:

Tom

I have tried the thermocell. They sat on top of it and inhaled it.. then went straight for the munchies..

I tried white vinegar and water.Mixed 75/25 in my pump up sprayer.

I tried the listerine and water. Mixed 75/25 in my pump up sprayer.

Vinegar worked the best.Boat smelled like a pickle factory.. The listerine made the boat smell clean and fresh. but made the floor slicker than a cat gut,.and did very little for the flies..

My buddy brought along a spray bottle of the cedarcide stuff. it worked fairly well and made the boat smell like a dogs bed or a cedar closet..

Seems the cheapest is to just keep spraying the boat down with the washdown pump and keep everything wet.

I havent tried this yet, but the my peeps on lake michigan say spread a little citrus based dishwashing soap on the legs. So, a dot of soap on the inside andoutside ankles. Will give it a test this week.

Always thought biting flies, meant weather change, eg, rain is a comin. I cant do long pants and wool socks, I have a farmers tan reputation I need to keep up. :D

I wonder if Old Time Woodsman Fly Dope could work :thinking:......eehhh....on second thought, I don't think going around smelling like an old railroad tie is good either. Not to mention it eats plastics...like your fishing line.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Raaven, I will buy all the above and give you a consumer reports on the product next week. I know the skin so soft with 30spf didnt work last year. Flyswatters did work after they already bit you. Deep woods off invited them into your boat. I had something one of the soldiers gave me on Ft Drum with 100 or close to it deet and it didnt stop em. I was really looking forward to hearing that a thermocell worked, but no dice :(:( .Wool socks or pants in 85-90 degree temps really isnt an option.Someone mentioned the fresh water washdown hose, that is what we have done in the past, especially when its warm is just to keep on spraying but when the hand goes off the trigger they seem to remember where you are.

Nick,

I never remember the ankle biting little flys that bad on Seneca, maybe we always had a wind. Next weeks forecast is little to no wind, hopefully they like the other guys a little bit better, I might load up on garlic before I get up there.