Ankle biting flies

Thermacell doesn't work on the flies. The easiest way to stop them is to wear long pants.

Brian

I disagree wholeheartedly Brian. I keep my Thermacell on the boat for the gnats in the spring and the flies in the summer. On a particularly bad fly day last year the Thermacell worked very well on deck throughout the day. It worked SO well it drove about ten thousand of the little bastards into my cabin. When my charter left the boat I took the Thermacell downstairs and turned it on. Within 10 minutes I had a cabin FULL of fly carcasses! :devil: I simply vacuumed them up.

I'm sure a Thermacell would not work as well on a very open boat in a wind but if you have a soft or hard top and keep it where it can work there will be NO flies anywhere near it. :yes:

Product called Ultra Shield, sold at most Country Max stores and the like. It is used on horses and dogs to keep biting flies off. We use it at the beagle club all the time for both the dogs and on us as it keeps mosquito's away also. They have 12 paks of towelettes and they work great and I have been using them for years. Paul

Product called Ultra Shield, sold at most Country Max stores and the like. It is used on horses and dogs to keep biting flies off

Been wondering if anyone has tried fly spray for horses...seems like it would be the ticket! I have it on my tractor supply shopping list.

Product called Ultra Shield, sold at most Country Max stores and the like. It is used on horses and dogs to keep biting flies off

Been wondering if anyone has tried fly spray for horses...seems like it would be the ticket! I have it on my tractor supply shopping list.

Those flys really are...STABLE FLIES....probably would work :yes:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Anybody ever try this stuff http://www.greenheadfly.com/Greenhead.html?

Is this product only for Greenheads?"-NO!

Even if you don't encounter the "Greenhead Fly" in your particular area (count yourself as lucky) our product will be just as effective on whatever insect you DO have. It works great on Stable Flies, Mosquitos, Fleas, Ticks, No See Ums, Deer Flies, Chiggers, Gnats, and more! Remember, because of their large size and weight, greenhead flies are just about the MOST resistant insects to ANY repellent. The fact that our insect repellent is so effective on the "worst" insects (greenhead flies), should indicate how how effective at repelling insects our product really is. Nothing that we have tried previously has ever had the slightest effect on them. This is why many of the coastal municipality governments have purchased it from us (and the coast guard as well). Feel confident-if our insect repellent works on these greenhead flies, it will be just as effective on whatever insect problem that you have in your area as well-Stable Flies, Mosquitos, Fleas, Ticks, No See Ums, Deer Flies, Chiggers, Gnats, and more!

I was gonna get it and give it a try :wondering:

dont they make a repellent fly spray for in side barn stalls? woud that work or do you think that because of the breaze it would not work? dont owne something like that so not sure how that stuff works

Fact is that the sprays and solutions will work on some people but not others, in fact some people may not even get bit at all. This all has to do with the chemistry of an individuals skin/sweat/blood ect..

If you are adverse to wearing thick socks (they work because the mouth of the fly is not long enough to reach your skin) you may want to try ingesting vitamin B-1 or Thiamine, found in; pill form or nuts, meats, tuna, Brussel sprouts. Again, depending on your body's chemistry this protein tends to repell biting insects, especially if they seek you out for your sweetness like myself and "Mortigan".

Another thing you may wish to try is rubbing the blood of a mature (needed for maximum bioaccumulation) lake trout or brown trout, especially if you could get one from Hamilton harbor. The amount of Mirex in the blood should be sufficient to impede the life cycle of the fly hampering reproduction, but may not prevent it from biting you.

Urea might work......pee on yer feet...or someone's feet....heavy wool socks absorb the runoff too. On second thought, maybe the Old Time Woodsman Fly Dope might be more user friendly, and smelling like an old railroad tie might be better than the amonia/urea odor. :puke: fish blood?...sounds like a ritual sacrifice is in order :devil:

:rofl:....actually I have had good results wearing high UV reflecting colors...like chartruese, or even good old bright white. Anything dark really attracts bitting flies.....in Tom FISHINMAN'S case...HOT PINK!

One of the old time guides from Canada used to eat garlic sandwiches. Yuk, but it works.

Maybe just rub some garlic on your ankles?

The pink thing might work. Mark told me they don't bite his a$$ when he's out with just his 2XL pink g-string undies :lol:

bought myself a therma cell to give it a try next time out I'll keep ya posted.

One of the old time guides from Canada used to eat garlic sandwiches. Yuk, but it works.

Maybe just rub some garlic on your ankles?

The pink thing might work. Mark told me they don't bite his a$$ when he's out with just his 2XL pink g-string undies :lol:

bought myself a therma cell to give it a try next time out I'll keep ya posted.

Hey....I'll have you know that I'm down to 1X.....and what are you doin lookin in my laundry :wondering:....and yes they don't bite my arse, so now they bite my ankles....unless I'm peein...oops :$

NOW that's Funny.....................................

.................... and I know the pink thing is true cause when BUFFY BOY went by me on his 17 mile troll at 4pm yesterday there was not a fly around him and he was bright PINK!!!