9v Batteries?

You guys find any particular brand 9v battery in you probe works better in the cold water? :?: :?:

I've been using the Ti Everready and find they're great as long as I stay in the 50's. Once I dip into the low-mid 40's, temp readings go nuts till I bring it up for a little while.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 3 weeks later...

I am running a Fish Hawk. I will get a morning outing out of a battery. 5-6 hrs. I usually start the afternoon outing with the same battery and switch it up with my spare when the readings start to become erratic. The nice thing is I always have a fully charged back-up waiting. At the end of the day, I put the batteries in the charger and I am ready to start the next day with two fresh batteries in hand. I am using the green colored batteries.

I just drop the fishhawk for a temp and speed check then pull it and store it upside down,i only drop it down a couple times a day unless i make big moves or the fishing slowes real bad with 40 to 50 days on the water im still using the same battery,but in real time ive only had it on maybe a hour or two for the summer. now that i have a new seal to replace my leaky one i might run it for the derbys ,bulk price 10 pac at SAM's club is about the same as 1 rechargable bout 14.00 bucks(enegizers)=5 gal gas=1.5 spindctrs=3lures,, its all included in that big hole in the lake in which we throw our money.well gotta go need to get a new rifle 500.00,scope,200.00 bullets 50.00,tree stand 200.00 camo suit,boots,pee,yes 1000.00 a gal pee(do the math),,,someone moved that money pit to the woods,if i didnt hunt or fish i would have a lot of money but i would be as poor as the rest of the world that doesent enjoy every corner of our earth.

I run a Fish Hawk & have said this before, you need to get a proper battery strength meter to test your batteries with. I think many of you throw your batteries away too soon. I can get several outings on one battery with no problem. I will second the bulk buy of 9V Duracells @ Sam's Club!!!

To the folks using the coated cable for the ST & DR, how long does the coated cable hold up??? Do you have to constantly adjust the electrical connection on the rigger end???How well does it work @ 150' plus??? How much does the coated cable cost??? A 200' spool of plain downrigger cable costs about $15 at Bass Pro. They all have their issues, to each their own. I have had very good luck with my Fish Hawk for the last 15 years. Only replaced one probe, & that was my fault. With all the debris this Spring in Ollcott, I was glad I had a Fish Hawk, so the stumps, branches & other flotsam did not bother my downrigger cable. I can only imagine what would happen to coated cable as it wraps around a pile of debris.

Clarke;

We are out there usually 8 to 10 hours per trip (about what you are doing), & I might get three or more trips as well of this length out of one battery. I too, unhook the battery each time the probe goes in the storage case. I leave the probe uncapped so it can dry out, it is usually so cold when it comes up for the last time that it has condensation all over the inside. The probe needs to be allowed to dry out when it is stored. I never had faith in the upside down storage to disconnect the battery. Glad to see I have some company here! I can't stress enough the use of a good battery strength meter across the battery terminals each time prior to sending the probe down to start aniother day of fishing. Why replace a good battery just because you think it has lost strength. In very rough conditions, the signal is somtimes unsteady, but I have figured out how to judge whether the readings are believeable or not through experience. I fished the entire Spring LOC out of Olcott with two days of prefishing using 3 batteries, & the third battery was used several time after that. We took 3rd place in the Salmon Division this Spring.

I know that Lithium batteries have excellent performance under very cold conditions compared to Alkaline which are terrible. However, they are expensive at about $10 a pop for a 9V. Theoretically, they are supposed to last 4 to 5 times as long as a standard Alkaline. I might give one a try next season just to see if it helps with the "cold water signal loss" problem on my Fish Hawk.

-Steve D

• 4 weeks later...