I have been thinking about getting the Fish Hawk TD.....any one have any comments on this product before I pull the trigger?

http://store-7f951.mybigcommerce.com/fi ... h-hawk-td/

Getting an actual probe like an X4 isn't in the cards at the moment but I'd like to have something to get temps with. I figured this would help me dial in my blow back too if I put it on the ball. It reads temps every 5' and it records the maximum depth.

Brian

Camo,

I bought one last year and its awesome! I'm not really worried about down speed on the lake that I fish because currents aren't to much of a factor. I spent last weekend running my Dipsy's with it attached to them at different speeds at 120, 150 and 180 out on the wire and it tells you what depth your dipsy's are running at. In my opinion if you can't afford the down temp and speed units the TD is definiately worth the $.

Tom

Thanks! So, did you get one this year? I think I'm gonna order one this week. I felt pretty comfortable before, but after reading that I'm 100%.

Unfortunately, I ran out of cash before I ran out of things to buy. :lol:

Unfortunately, I ran out of cash before I ran out of things to buy. :lol:

No crap! I just setup two wire diver rigs, used them for the first time on Saturday (just realized I forgot to post a report!). Well, when my buddy was taking the rods off the boat on Sunday he noticed that there wasn't any wire on the one brand new rod/reel combo I set up. GONE...and so was the spring part of the twilli tip! No wire left on the spool, just a few strands on the second to last eyelet before the twilli.

I reeled the swivel right to the tip and put it in a rod holder. I made a comment about how I should probably break them down and lay them on the deck but the bouncing around would probably be worse for them. I then said, "I'm sure there is an excellent reason why I shouldn't do this, but I guess we will live and learn the hard way". I did!

I'm guessing we must have snagged a tree on the side of the road and peeled all that line off. I'm just glad the wire broke and didn't yank the damn rod out of the rod holder or even break the rod. I'm grateful to only be out about 60 for new wire and a twilli than the whole setup.

I'm here!

So, yes if you can't afford (or don't have riggers to install) the down temp and speed (because this is actually the best setup), then the TD gives you some important information that can transform your fishing day.

Firstly, I don't work for Fishhawk. I bought one last year and can vouch that it is a good product. So good that half of Ontario was sold out of them and there was a 4 week backlog at the supplier - when I bought last year. I managed to travel about 80 km's and found one at a Radio shop (Radio World).

Anyhow - the TD gives you temperature every five feet. You'll need a rod to drop it into the water and retrieve it. It should be a spare rod so you don't have to pull your trolling rods to do a temperature test. I basically attached 1 lb of weights to my line and then clamp on the TD and drop it to the bottom. It is really easy to use. With the temp profile, I can set my lines in the 45 - 50F range, and I'm quickly into fish.

Now, here's a funny story - last week I put on the TD quickly using the spring connection it comes with. I drop it down and retrieve my line. Guess what was missing??? AGhhhghhgghhh! Gone. I didn't secure the frigging spring connector and it came off the line. So, I went and bought a new one $180 with tax!! That was an expensive fishing trip! So don't feel to bad about your wire.

By the way, why is your wire costing so much? $60 is too expensive. You can get 30# 7 strand torpedo wire for like $35 for 1000 ft. I just picked up 2 spools three weeks ago.

Anyhow, if you need more info, let me know.

By the way, why is your wire costing so much? $60 is too expensive. You can get 30# 7 strand torpedo wire for like $35 for 1000 ft. I just picked up 2 spools three weeks ago.

Anyhow, if you need more info, let me know.

I bought a rod/reel that was already setup and it had 19 strand torpedo wire on it, so I was trying to match the setup for consistency reasons. The 1000' spool that I bought was about $50, then I paid the guy to spool it on, and add a twilli tip. I lost the external part of the twilli with the spring on it. The part that glues onto the rod tip is still there though! Any arguements against the 19 strand? Maybe I'll just get two spools of 30#, 7 strand and do both rods....since the rod I bought has used/older wire on it?

As far as the TD goes, I was thinking I would put it on my downrigger ball, and drop that down before I started setting up. That way I could learn how much the ball blows back vs. how much the line counter on the rigger is reading. I also wanted to put it on my dipsy's to figure them out a little better.

I have plenty of old rods and figured once I get the blow back figured out I would put it on an old rod butt with an old reel and use that with a bunch of weight on it ( I was thinking more like 4-5lbs?) Think that would be too much weight for the bottom half of a on old GL 8'6" downrigger rod?

Yes, it will be good to figure out all that stuff, but after your testing phase, you will want to put it on a rod, so you can get temp while you are trolling, and adjust your riggers accordingly to keep you in the right temp zone.

As for the weight once it is on a rod, 5 to 6 lbs is weigh too heavy. It will be difficult to reel in as there is no boyancie, like a fish. It will be almost impossible to get it out of the water and onto the boat.

1 to 1.5 lbs is good enough. You will drop it 150 feet in about 20 to 30 seconds. It doesn't need to be straight down, as the TD measures depth by water pressure.

I also figured it could do double duty when I'm fishing from my kayak. I think I just saw it listed for $135 a couple days ago so do a little online comparison shopping before you buy. I just refinanced my mortgage and had my house painted so I'm pretty broke.

I just bought one of these as well. It works very well. Just remember that there is a 45 second auto shutoff, so you can't leave it down too long or you get no measurements.

I'm sold, but I have a question on your comment djj717....does it shut off 45 seconds after it is maxed out or 45 after you start it? In this product review the guy says he left it out for about a minute....add deployment and retreival times and its definitely longer.

Camo,

I think its 45 seconds after it hasn't moved or there is no changes in water pressure I was using it on the dipsy's last weekend and it was deployed more than 45 seconds and didn't turn off.

Tom

If you can wait for it, then absolutely look around. I bought it for $140+tax last year, then the replacement cost me $170+tax.

The problem is many people sell it, but very few actually have it in stock, so if you find a good price and they have stock, you'll need to act quickly.

I had no choice, I needed it for this weekend and only 1 guy within 50 miles of my house had it.

It doesn't auto shut off after 45 seconds while you are dropping it. When I go down 160 feet it takes at least 3 mins to get it up and down. I think it will only shut off if it hasn't detected a change for 45 seconds, and if you drop it in the water then I think it automatically changes the mode and retains the data. You then have to view the info before it shuts off again.

Mark