Anyone run these out on trash lines to see where they are running?

I almost bought one for checking all my lead and copper at different speeds/tackle but I baulked when I thought about the added bulk and the possible change that it would lead to with a rig like that.

I really wanted to get accurate data about where my rigs were running but I think that pulling the TD would be off a little from actual.

Wire divers should be pretty accurate if the TD is attached right behind the diver or at the lure but a 3-5 color lead core might be way off with the extra drag.

Any thoughts?

j

Anyone run these out on trash lines to see where they are running?

I almost bought one for checking all my lead and copper at different speeds/tackle but I baulked when I thought about the added bulk and the possible change that it would lead to with a rig like that.

I really wanted to get accurate data about where my rigs were running but I think that pulling the TD would be off a little from actual.

Wire divers should be pretty accurate if the TD is attached right behind the diver or at the lure but a 3-5 color lead core might be way off with the extra drag.

Any thoughts?

j

Obviously I haven't used one of these yet, but I would think that if you wanted to do a little testing on your coppers and leadcore you could just compensate for the drag. For example, if you run a FF combo you could use a smaller flasher and replace the fly with the TD or if you normally run a spoon on them just put the TD in place of the spoon. Sure, the weight and dynamics of the TD aren't going to be the same but I can't imagine the difference is going to be that big. What is a foot of depth (or two). Wouldn't it be nice to know within 5' or so of where they are actually running? I suppose you could run into a problem with the TD shutting off since it takes so long to put those lines into position, the depth might not change fast enough?

I don't run copper/leadcores (yet) and I haven't gotten the TD yet either, I'd just rather be thinking about fishing that working! Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Brian

I did a little experimenting a couple weeks ago and found out that if you want to get an accurate reading on your copper of lead core you need to let them out super slow because the way the TD works is it reads down to the deepest depth...so if you let your lead core out fast... lets say a 10 color... its droping below 50 ft. before it catches up to trolling speed so it might read 65 ft because thats where it dipped to before the boat started pulling it . I let a 4 color out going 2.0 mph the way I normally would...as fast as the boat will take it and after reeling it in after trolling it for about 10min. it read 55 ft. I'm thinking if you get the boat going maybe 3 or even 4 miles an hour let it out half the speed you normally would and then decrease your speed slowly to trolling speed you would get an accurate reading.

Tom