Best Free Slider Spoons

Some of my favs and I second Missdemeanor on light spoons:

Coho's & Steel: Orange honeybees, Moonshines Tangerine Tiger, silver/orange evil eye

Kings: NK lite orange crush, Moonshine Geezer, Moonshine Orange Slice

Early season we seem to take more kings on the sliders, summer they are deadly on steel. A fixed cheater 7' above a choked up spoon takes a fair number of kings all summer long (mup rig) using the same spoon as the one below but usually in a different size.

tryed free slider for the first time but it kept getting hung up on the rigger release making it impossible to trip when retrieving line. Not sure if it worked its way down quick or what. spoon was super slim glow frog. it did take a shot at one point saw the rod slack up for a few seconds but fish wasnt around after that.

Don't take all the bow out of your main line. Slider should find the back of the bow in the line. Make sure your ball is at the depth you want to fish before putting the slider out and try not to change the depth by too much.

tryed free slider for the first time but it kept getting hung up on the rigger release making it impossible to trip when retrieving line. Not sure if it worked its way down quick or what. spoon was super slim glow frog. it did take a shot at one point saw the rod slack up for a few seconds but fish wasnt around after that.

How is it getting hung on in your rigger release? You are putting your line in the release then sending it down, then putting your free slider on right?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

yes.

maybe took out too much of the bow i guess. Both times it was down at the main line release when we tryed triping the rod to switch spoons. only other thing i can think of is maybe a small fish hit and pulled the spoon down? the releases were cranked pretty tight.

the rigger was set at 70' and later 90'. we use 8# weights there was some blowback not sure how that effects the arc in the line...

Do you know how fast you are going? You will have a lot of blow back with 8 lb weights and 70 to 90 feet of cable out no matter how slow you are going. I think your line is probably too horizontal and the sliders are going all the way down the line. If you have to use 8 lb weights try running spreads that are higher than 60 feet until you get the hang of it. try a 40 and 60 spread. at most. If you are close to shore run even higher. I have had hits on free sliders with only 20 feet of cable out to the ball. That almost has my slider in the prop wash. Steelhead and cohos don't care. They will hit close to the boat.

Good luck and keep trying

correction, we were using 10# weights. but we had some blowback for sure. also ran a 7 color core and it took no hits, figured that would be our high line for steel or coho, but nothing. ran everything from small bright orange stinger spoons, stingray nbk, to the bfuller mag SSW.

speeds at the surface were around 2.4-3.0

this is why we used fixed sliders problems like the lure sliding down the line dont occure until a fish hits it and you can stack 1,2 ,3 or 4 if you want the headache after a fish also since they dont slide free at the strike more fish are hooked solid than with free sliders .. :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: