Finding temps with the X4

I just got my first down temp and speed unit. I've used it twice this week walleye fishing. I understand what temps I'm looking for when Salmon fishing but what is the best strategy to find it? Do you guys drop your prob before for sending out your spread and search for your desired temps? I guess what I'm trying to get at is what's the fastest way to find that 40/42 degree water to fish it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm heading up to Ontario on Friday.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Id go to attheoak to see if anyone has recently posted down temp,,,shottin from the hip run to 100 ft and drop er down empty (no pole ) if ya wanna check temp... as for me id read some recent post and start in that depth ..IE if 50 ft was good start their in the am and slide a bit ....looks like250fow was pretty steady picin for the last week ....i dont focus too much on the 40 deg thing 55 deg will hold any fish for a short time ...if ya got 70 deg at 80 fow id be runnin to 250 to 300 fow and look for the temp break out there.

id rather be 25 ft above a fish than 25ft below(eyes see up natural) thats why a start in the 55 deg range..i run the probe most of the time now so ya can adjust as you move in or out for the good down temp/depth...

in the early am dont be afraid to drop in at 60 deg if yer markin good fish ..if you were cookin a hotdog over a open fire and it fell in where you could grab it and get out you would (well musky would) you wouldnt wanna keep yer hand in the heat for long ,,,just like a big king dont like the warm water for extended periouds of time they will dart in their and grab the weenie

Tony,

In the "questions about trout & salmon...." portion of LOU there is a thread called "Down Temp" please check it out. Here is a copy of my post from that thread:

I am a bracket fisherman as well, first rod down stops at 50', then the probe goes down to find 58 degrees, I adjust my first rigger to that depth and drop the probe to 49 degrees. On most summer days the lower margin of the mesolimnion is 49 degrees, and at that depth the temp will be inconsistent fluctuating in the 40's depending on speed and direction.

I will often run a 600' copper to keep the deep fish honest.

While the probe is mostly used for speed, it is important to keep an eye on the temp all day long because conditions can change and the faster we react the more consistent the bite will be.