St Lawrence walleye

Kevin J Legg

First walleye of the year on the river (23"). Hit him in 65' on a jigging spoon. Perfect size for a meal and hopefully the first of many. I also hit some smallmounths in the same depth water but they were returned till tomorrow. Surprised they are that deep this early but things seem to be in the summer mode.

we_001.jpg

Kevin, Glad to hear the walleyes are showing up. We fished the first week of Aug last year and killed them jigging the deep water. The only time we could get up there this year is 4th of July week and I was afraid it would be too early. Last year we found the fish would be in 65 to 80 feet of water during the day and move up to 35 to 45 after dark. Maybe we'll see you on the water.

My kids will be home for a visit but I'll be out early mornings. I've tried trolling shallow a couple times early morning without success so far this year. Usually I find that method is good early and move to deeper water after sun is up. I didn't even see any glowing eyes with my spotlight but that will change. Feel free to contact me as I'm on the water a lot.