holy crap check yer dypsy line/actual line out............

Ok after tinkin about the other dypsy /lineout/ topic I pulled my( tattered,copper battled,and 4 year old wire with a few trimmins due to kinks or broken strands) off the minnow... I had a perfect 50 and 100ft markers and here is what i got....

Line counter---------actual footage & difference.....using 3 to 1 dive ratio desired depth I was off:

70---------------------50....20ft...................6ft

140--------------------100....40ft.................13ft

210--------------------150....60ft.................20ft

290--------------------200....90ft.................30ft

370--------------------250....120ft...............40ft

450--------------------300....150ft diff..........50ft

After adjusting backin and new wire to the brim of the spool i got these numbers:

60---------------------50.....10ft diff....3ft

120--------------------100...20ft diff....6ft

180--------------------150...30ft diff....10ft

250--------------------200...50ft diff....16ft

310--------------------250...60ft diff....20ft

380--------------------300...80ft diff....26ft

Both reels were noticably down on the spools before rewiring and backing adjustments.

guess I'll have to make a chart on the boat to keep track of actual line out vs counter...those numbers wernt exactly what i read 60 was 61.5 120 was 122 ect ect i just rounded the line counter to nearest 10 ft but all were within 3 ft of rounded numbers..

so i guess they wernt where i been thinking they were, might help explain my dypsy bite being a little slower for the last few years...

Like I say "Always Learing Or Never Learing" Today I lernt something...

i just bought 4 new tekota 600lc for my wire rods and tested mine in the yard. i live in the country so my yard is actually over 100 yards wide which is 300 feet. my line counters were right on the money!!!!!!! literally to the foot!!! i have a lazer range finder for hunting i used to measure the distance. i did just respool all 4 reels with 30# afw wire. its thinner (.013) than most 30# wire (at .015)and when the reels are full the counter is most accurate. so make sure your full on the reels for the counters to actually do what they are supposed to. its good to check these things and do as much homework as possible before going out and dragging lines around and catchin a big zero! just my 2 cents

In the back of my mind I was alwaYs thinkin that the counters can't be right when the spool is not full. Thanks Ray for the research, it proves that in some cases repetition of a set that is working is your best bet on a good bite, ....on the other hand thinking the set is right based on the charts and the info from electronic devices, then not getting hits creates a big ?....drags work a lot better on fuller reels too.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

SO........................Let me get this straight................If I am catching fish on a #2, 150' out on the port side, I need to go home, measure my line, compare it to my counter, replace/adjust my backing, re-spool my wire, make a chart, find my old chart, develop an alge-a-brayic formula, calculate the product, calibrate the reels with each other, then set the starboard dipsy?

..............retired plumbers have way too much time on their hands, I just put the other one out at 150 and troll in a "S" line!!!

SO........................Let me get this straight................If I am catching fish on a #2, 150' out on the port side, I need to go home, measure my line, compare it to my counter, replace/adjust my backing, re-spool my wire, make a chart, find my old chart, develop an alge-a-brayic formula, calculate the product, calibrate the reels with each other, then set the starboard dipsy?

..............retired plumbers have way too much time on their hands, I just put the other one out at 150 and troll in a "S" line!!!

Carl that makes too much sense. So if I call somebody else out fishing the same area and he's catching fish on his wire out 210 lets say on a #2 and I set mine at the same thing and also catch fish then both our reels are off the same amount?

Carl can you strip all the 1 year old line off my reels when you redo yours and buy the new wire too.

Ray :P:*

It's all just a SWAG estimate....repetition....repetition....only if It's good..unless It's bad then change....change.

Unless ya like bad,, then repetition, repetition

Ask the president....bad is good....repetition....aaahh :drunk:

Great topic Ray! I did this with a teammate in the spring....the results were stunning!!

Thanks Jar Head. Great post. I always tell anyone who will listen that reels work best with full spools.

Exactly....and I gotta say it's way more important than I ever realized up until this year. Counters on reels are only "somewhat" accurate if the spool is full. And furthermore, your retrieval per turn is so much higher with a full spool....takes way less cranking to reel in a fish ;) It's common sense I guess, but when you do the math it's like, holy crap!

So in other words....when someone says 220 dipsey is smoking, there are a ton of variables there so it don't mean 220 is gonna be the number that works for you.

IMO.................You can only fish dipsys 3 ways

High, Medium and Deep using them to target a specific layer of water is like trying to figure out what a woman is thinking!!

Just too many variables so you have to do what Skipper says, figure it out for today then repeat, when that does not work then continue to change it up!!

List of variables (Feel free to add any you think of)

-Boat speed

-Boat Direction

-Turns

-type of lure

-position of the dial

-currents

-location of temp

-location of bottom

-amount of line on spool

-make of reel

-condition of counter gear due to wear

-snubber/no snubber

-location of fish

-consistancy of tension on line when filling spool (loose wrap or tight wrap)

-amount of fleas on the line

-waves

-position/angle of rod tip in relation to water

-stiffnes and length of rod

-density of the water

-smoothness of the surface of the dipsy

-size of swivel/crimp/terminal tackle

-type of wire/line

-wind shear

-ring no ring

this is why you should never try to duplicate what someone said over the radio. His reels and rigger counters may be different than yours and you willl not get the same outcome.

Ray,

I went out tonight and decided to give it a try. My buddy Ed on the Bite-me was getting fish on his dipsy 115' out dialed 3. Not knowing any better, set in my ways and being the dumb redkneck that I am; I set my dipsy at 115' out dialed 3 with the same MOONSHINE RV Crabface that he was running. I got to 100 yard off his bow and he told me that he just hit one on his dipsy then as we were beam to beam, I hit one on my dipsy.

Now I know Ed uses those silver shimano reels while I use the black garcia ones, not only that but I had just trimmed 15' of curlys off of my reel so I did not have a full spool.................... But it worked just the same.

From all of this conversation I can draw only one conclusion.........................

.................THOSE DANG MOONSHINE CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WATER AND STILL CATCH FISH!!! :clap::clap:

Was "crabface " his nickname for you or the lure name?? Yes dear i know everything ant the same on all reels and boats but i do know if the thermo is at 50 ft and i want to have my dypsy at 40 ft down at least i can feel like I'm In The zone by knowing how much line is out ....hey do you have any extra crabs? that other stupid lure you gave me some big fish grabbed it and did a drag race with the boat.....he won!!! and when he spun around and under the boat for his victory lap he sorta hit every rigger under the boat and yup,,,the 150lb test rigger cable won ;( So would you be interested in giving me the crabs along with a nice "purple nurple" :P

So would you be interested in giving me the crabs along with a nice "purple nurple" :P

Ray,

The last 15 moonshines I got, I bought from Captain's Cove for $7 each, if you want the crabface, you are going to have to break down and buy them. Catch me at the dock and I might be able to summons up a purple nurple for you!! :clap:

• 4 weeks later...

I did an experiment this morning on my diawa 47s. They are spooled to the brim with 50# PP. These aren't even numbers but back up the point of this. At 82 on reel the actual was 11% lower, at 167 actual was 13% lower, at 255 actual was 15% lower and at 349 actual was 18% lower. The results on my magdas with20# mono weren't skewed until 250' of line out. Rays results with wire were more extreme than my results with braid. This would make a big difference if you are trying to hit Max depths with dipsys.