Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed: 2.2 - 2.7

Down Speed: ?

Boat Depth: 140 - 180FOW

Lure Depth: 25 - 75'

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Did solo trip this morning. Thought I would focus on BT to start with boards in 10-30 FOW. I couldn't seem to keep my spoons down and after several attempts and wasting an hour+ of fishing time I gave up and headed to deeper water. (Any suggestions as to why my lures were surfacing of the boards would be appreciated ... new to boards)

Started to set up in 125FOW off the pumphouse and immediately had marks and bait down 50-60'. Had riggers set at 25' and 45' and SD/fly out 200 on #3. Worked the area most the morning picking up 6 sthd and 1 LT. Most action was in the 155 - 180FOW and all rods took fish at depths mentioned above. Did double up with sthd in 177' FOW, 1 was a jumper, the other was ripping line like a king. Both in the 6-8lb range. Fun stuff solo :) .

Fish were caught on Stingers in bummble bee & die hard patterns. And the Hammertime SD/Fly.

GOOD LUCK to all!

LTtroller

(Bob)

Could be a combination of things, distance, speed, lure weight. If you were back at least 80 feet, and your speed was as you say, a spoon would run high if it was too small and light and possibly have "gunk" and weeds on it. Stickbaits usually don't have this problem. If spoons is what your running, try a small spitshot about 3' in front of it. This will take it down slightly and act as a gathering spot for any floating debris in the water.

Hope this helps???

Mark

"Matilda K"

Thanks for the tips Mark.

I ran spoons (Michigan Stinger and NK) 50-75' back to start and then tried them back 100 - 150'. They seemed to stay down at first out further, but then surfaced again.

I was trolling at 2.2mph for the most part with the boards out.

There was some floating "gunk" in the water but I managed to avoid collecting any.

If I bother to try for BT again, I will try the split shot idea. But as fun as the steelhead are, I doubt I will ;)

LTtroller

(Bob)

P.S. - In regards to you SLIME post... there was some I noticed while fish for the BT in close to shore, but I did not come across any out in the deeper water. Good luck!