Crossing Cables..?

I was out wed. night and had my rigger cables on the starburd side cross over each other NOT FUN! Not to mention one was my sub troll cable. I was running a 12.5lb torpedo style like seen sold on this site on the outside and a 14.5lb straight out the back on the same side of the boat. I run the 14.5lb on the rigger with the probe to help with drag. No hard turns made and very little if any blow back accured before they crossed. Any one have any idea why these might cross like that? It has happened twice this year and i cant have it happen again. The boom on the outside is extended as far out the side as possable. First year trying these rocket/ torpedo style weights but have heard nothing but good about them from everyone on this site!

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Were they at way different depths? Wicked currents out there sometimes. Can be following the same heading for miles and look back to see all the rigger wires leaning to one side or the other. Might have had one caught in a current and the other in the eddy above or below.

Check to make sure your weights r straight. I have some where the tails are slightly bent. This causes them to swim left or right. I have mine set up to swim away from the boat. I mixed them up once, and the cables crossed under the boat.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

IMO, if you boat isn't 10 ft wide, you're asking for trouble with a side & a rear rigg'r regardless of style weight. Any depth more than 40 down & the cables can get awful close.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If the release is hooked to the tail of the weight , it will steer the weight into trouble!!!! If your fishing off 9mile the deep currents are wicked at times. :o:@

I run 4 identical rigger weights off the 4 riggers.

You start mixing different weights and thats when you get problems.

Four of the same weight will track the same.

I run 4 riggers off an 8 ft beam and can't remember the last time I've had trouble.

I run four of the Atomic 13 lb torpedo weights with the probe on the back corner and it works great.

Your probe rigger will have a bit more blowback but it doesn't effect the performance OR the catch rate.

Good luck

Glen

I agree with Glen, match up the weights. I prefer the old style single fin 12# ball below a blacks release. (mostly because I have 12 of them that I bought cheap)

I would add a few suggestions, keep the back riggers deeper then the side, watch your turns and when the current is ripping you need to keep in mind the direction of the sway, try to visualize what your balls are doing.

BITD I ran 5 riggers off a 8' wide Islander and did not have a problem. Back then I would always run a "V" pattern with the probe on the starboard corner.

Have you looked into Wingers? They help pull the side riggers away from the back of the boat and your back riggers. I've not had an issue since going to them. Also, using different weights probably isn't the best approach. Essentially you have 4-5 feet max between the riggers and different blowback could become problematic, especially on modest turns. The Wingers will help you get around that though.... They were a great addition to my spread and I seem to catch more fish off the Wingers than the back riggers.

Thanks to all !!!! I was out Sunday morning and tried a few differnt things. I bent the bottum fin on the weights a little bit to make one pull to the port just a little and bent one to the starburd and labled them. Maid a bit of a differnce for me :yes: . Also the down currents were pretty strong yesterday as they usualy are out of Sandy so i let each down nice and slow. All in all no crosses as of yet and hope it remains that way for now on.

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-