Sonar/Chartplotter purchase

I'm thinking about buying a new combo unit - 7" or 8". Looking at Lowrance, Hummingbird and Raymarine units. For use on Lake Ontario. Sonar is my priority.

Would love some feedback from owners experience with similar units and recommendations, as you know this is a significant purchase.

They are all good. I love my hds but the bird is a great unit too. Certain ones can't be upgraded though so if your going with a bird I think you would want the 900 series or better. Hds is full upgradeable. Sat radio, weather, radar, and all the structure scan stuff. Chevy ford debate.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Two of the best units out right now for us Salmon guys is the Raymarine e7d and the Garmin 740s.

Not one unit is going to be best for everyone and if you do a lot of inland lake fishing thats where the Humminbird and Lowrance gain their strength in offering features like structure scan and 360 imaging.

The Garmin is my favorite offering the best GPS on the market and a really good built in 1000 watt fish finder. The touch screen navagation is so fast, smooth, and easy to use. IT also has standard NMEA 2000 and the ability to add radar if you ever want to. Ive used one of these for a while and it was one of the best units ive used especially considering its under $1500. The down side to this one from the Raymarine is it doesnt network with other displays as well at the raymarrine ( it does network just not as well) whiich isnt a big deal to most off usse only haviing 1 or 2 displays.

The Raymarine e7d is packed with bells and whistles. It is anotther very fast unit with an excellent 600 watt fish finder. IT will do radar just like that Garmin but tthe GPS isnt quite as good and if you want NMEA 2000 you wil have to buy an adapter. Although it has seemless networking, bluetooth, and wifi.

Basically it comes down to the bells and whistles, if the bluetooth and wifi integration are something you find value in or your going to have more then 2 displays then without a doubt go with the Raymarine. If you want a very strong unit at its core in GPS navigation, Sonar, and easy to use then i would stick with the Garmin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Humminbird and lowrance doesn't match up really well because although they have the same features the way they do things is so different. But the short and easy answer would be the 900 series. Which has a bigger screen then the hds 7 but a simuliar price point.

Humminbird pros:

Price

Reliability

Customer service

Easier installation

It may be a personal preference but I like the widescreen orientation

Coming soon 360 imaging

Lowrance pros:

Modular system with more optional features to choose from without having to upgrade the whole unit

Networkability

2 transducers when using structure scan rather then 1 odd extremely hard to install ducer

Possibly performance which many claim but I'm not completely convinced

Integrates with simrad equipment

There probably some more but those are some big ones that I could think of off the top of my head.

Humminbird and lowrance doesn't match up really well because although they have the same features the way they do things is so different. But the short and easy answer would be the 900 series. Which has a bigger screen then the hds 7 but a simuliar price point.

Humminbird pros:

Price

Reliability

Customer service

Easier installation

It may be a personal preference but I like the widescreen orientation

Coming soon 360 imaging

Lowrance pros:

Modular system with more optional features to choose from without having to upgrade the whole unit

Networkability

2 transducers when using structure scan rather then 1 odd extremely hard to install ducer

Possibly performance which many claim but I'm not completely convinced

Integrates with simrad equipment

There probably some more but those are some big ones that I could think of off the top of my head.

I run two Lowrance units and have always had good luck with them, HOWEVER now that I have learned (from this site) that after your unit turns 5 years old, they won't repair any problems with it. So take that into mind when shopping for sonar/plotters. I have 3 grand worth of Lowrance sonars that will have to be replaced when they break down.