Fishing alone ? What to wear......

ERABBIT

Ed I bought one of the inflatables last year. Like you I would never wear one. Since I bought it I have it on all the time when I'm solo and don't mind it at all. They are not cheap but well worth it. It will inflate as soon as I hit the water. ( I hope) Wish I could tell you what kind I got but it's up by the lake in the boat.

I paid about $170.00 for it.

Glen

We had a guy put on an inflatable and jumped in to get something that was dropped overboard. It is the kind were you pull a cord to inflate. He had the cord tucked up in the vest and in the 3 foot waves couldnt find it. He almost drowned so I would get a good one that does inflate when you hit the water. Also my son-in-law lost his dad who was fishing alone and drowned. They think he just fell out of the boat, there was no storms or anything. Vest would have saved him.200 bucks aint such a bad deal after that.

Weenie.........I bought the "inflate-a-belt" last year after reading the post on this board about a lone fishermen that went overboard on Ontario and never was found. His boat was found beached the next morning with the riggers still out.

I wear this every time I'm alone and always during the colder months even if some else is aboard. It's not the best out there but it is something that I will wear during the ummer even on the hottest days because it doesn't touch your skin. Just hangs around your waist. It's a semi-manual inflation by pulling a tab. A CO2 cartridge does the inflating.

If you go over at this time of year and are alone you will probably die from hyperthermia but at least your family will have a body to bury if you are wearing a life jacket/belt/vest.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... get=browse

The best life saving devices are usless if they are in the storage locker or under the seat... :shock:. We'll be fishing the finger lakes tomorrow and the surface temps are about 42 deg. You can bet you a$$ my inflate-a-belt will be on ;) .

Here on Lake Mich this summer a guy in about a 25 foot boat fishing alone walked right out the door on back of his boat. He didnt have it latched. Lucky for him some guys trolling about 200 yards away happen to see him do it. Boat kept right on going, they called the coast gaurd and went and picked him up. Drunk as hell!!! If they had not been looking right at him at the time he would probably been dead. He went to jail for a DUI but he still got lucky.

Guest ReelDiel

SOSpenders is the inflatable i have and it super comfortable even on the hottest days.....mustang has a new one that looks even better

FWIW...if you guys are fishing and the water is below 50 invest in a survial suit most of us who fish the niagara have them they are well worth the coin and they keep you superwarm. it dont take long under 50 to lose motor skills. just try putting your plug in, in 40 degree water. thats what got me to buy one.

In early spring, late fall and pretty much always on the ice I wear my Mustang work suit which was about $370 and worth every penny to me. I fish alone at night for walleyes most of the time in late fall and I feel it's the best investment I can make in giving me a chance to survive falling out of the boat in cold water. Especially now with surface temps of about 37 degrees you won't last long.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a sterns. It looks like a vest that I usually wear around the house and at work driving truck. I spent more for it , but its one that I wear, fits good( not an easy thing when your are my size), and it makes my wife and kids feel better when I am out by myself.

Let's remember that Coast Guard boat that flipped over on the Niagara Bar and two guys died from the cold water immersion. If it's cold water make sure you fish with other boats, the life jackets won't save you. Maybe a handheld waterproof portable radio or phone will aid in you being found faster.

• 1 year later...

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

copy and paste this link to your browser for a look at a very good piece of equipment for anybody going out on adventures of any kind. about $150 to $175 for the unit and $99 for basic service $49 for tracking. It's called SPOT and will find you and keep friends and family informed of your location and condition. Keep it on you along with the pfd and you are not alone when you are. pfd is OK but it needs to be on and yet it still will not rescue you in cold water without cell coverage, I don't know of any cell that will take water and still work, SPOT will keep working in the water.

CHECK IT OUT!

Mark