Question About Switching to Trebles

I'm hoping for some advice here. We lost a few nice fish (likely a couple big lakers and one very strong salmon or brown) this weekend on two of my hottest lures (a 4" purple spoon and a purple fly). Now I know that losing fish is normal, but the trouble is that my most active lures are also the only lures we lose fish on and they are just about the only ones I have with single hooks instead of treble hooks. I'm thinking of changing these up to some good strong treble hooks or maybe adding a trailing treble? Have any of you made this move, and if so, what size and brand do you recommend?

Thanks.

Kyle

With spoons you add weight when you go to a treble. Usually not a problem but you will have to speed up to get the spoon kicking right. IMO flies should have a treble since they whip around a lot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

I use trebles so i don't put the single thru the eyes or the brain of small fish. It holds better on larger fish because there are more points to hold when one works loose.

The weight of the single, and drag, are comparable to trebles if you look at the cross section and size. I actually get better action from the trebles because of the better balance with the triangle weight distributions, and drag.

If it comes with a single, run it the way it comes. If you don't like spoons with a single, switch to a brand that comes with treble hooks. Most manufactures tune their spoons so switching hooks will change the effective running speed and u will catch less fish.

RR

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have numerous spoons that I switch. However, I have select few that I leave alone. For example, I have O&Ms that came with singles..they stay that way... I do have many NKs with singles and a few stingers. Along with some R&R spoons that I have switched over to trebles for the simple fact I prefer it.. Some guys will complaing about running trebles because it will harm the smaller fish... A hook is a hook when it hits the eye or mouth, But I do agree the small salmon get all three every time, and when you run singles, the small salmon take it through the eye or the brain every time... It's fishing... If there were a rule against it then we would follow that...

I tie many of my own flies, and all of which I run one Single treble hook, I have had great luck with OWNERs and DAIICHI.. The Daiichi hooks are rugged and I have yet to break a point..

Nick...

well we all got em ,so here is mine as long as the weight of the hook matches as mentioned above it should be ok..another thing is run that spoon at the surface and check the action,this is very important that spoon is doing something the fish like..if you can make it work withe a treble yer ok if you have another spoon just like it and it runs the same out of the package the experment with that one by "tuning" the spoon by slightly bending it ...maybe yer "hot "spoon got a little bent during a fight and thats whats giving it that "secret "action...forget the trailer Owner has some good strong light wire trebles ,you should be able match weight and action...and SHARPEN EVERY HOOK I know some charters that wont send a spoon down without a quick touch every fish landed on it..or fresh outa the box too.....increase yer rod tension for better inital hookset and if the fish is runnin and the line is tight give it a " light " hookset WHEN ITS GOING AWAY FROM YOU NOT ON THE RETRIVAL.. then if ya still lost it ya did all you can do it was just a bad bite ... did i mention "SHARPER IS BETTER"

well we all got em ,so here is mine as long as the weight of the hook matches as mentioned above it should be ok..another thing is run that spoon at the surface and check the action,this is very important that spoon is doing something the fish like..if you can make it work withe a treble yer ok if you have another spoon just like it and it runs the same out of the package the experment with that one by "tuning" the spoon by slightly bending it ...maybe yer "hot "spoon got a little bent during a fight and thats whats giving it that "secret "action...forget the trailer Owner has some good strong light wire trebles ,you should be able match weight and action...and SHARPEN EVERY HOOK I know some charters that wont send a spoon down without a quick touch every fish landed on it..or fresh outa the box too.....increase yer rod tension for better inital hookset and if the fish is runnin and the line is tight give it a " light " hookset WHEN ITS GOING AWAY FROM YOU NOT ON THE RETRIVAL.. then if ya still lost it ya did all you can do it was just a bad bite ... did i mention "SHARPER IS BETTER"

i have switched all my flies hooks to salt water series that are riffled. yes there a little bigger but i will tell you what when a dipsy fires unless you have a brand new person behind the reel its almost for sure a fish in the boat. my little girl can even keep her own on the dipsy. i to have a small selection of spoons with single hooks that sence moving to the riffled i have tweeked the hook and agin much better hook ups.

The great majority of my spoons have been switched to singles. Make sure the point faces the cup of the spoon as has been said 4 times in the above post...(or was that said the same way in 4 posts?) and it's sticky sharp. Also look at the size and shank length. Don't put a stubby 2/0 on a 4" spoon. Better to look at 4/0's. Also be careful that the shank isn't too long. For a 4" spoon I'd try a "Gammy" 4/0 and put a little bend in so so the point is not parrallel to the shank.

Tom B.

(LongLine)