***Dipsey Diver Set up Question***

This may seem very easy question to some of you but I am having some trouble finding some info. on how and what to use with a dipsey diver as I am just getting into salmon and trout fishing on Lake Ontario:). There is many stand points out there about how to rig a dipsey diver to the wire and whether or not to use a snubber and if it's a good idea to use mono or wire. I have been searching on the internet about how to set up a dipsey with how long the leaders have to be ect. to the fly from the flasher. How do you set up the dipsey to the wire or mono and if you use a snubber. Also, what is a good pound test line. Any tips on dipsey diving would be great. Also, if you can leave a website, comment, steps ect. of how to set up a dipsey to the flasher and fly that would be great. I have mastered the downrigging but now it's time to tackle the fly. All help would be greatly appreciated. What is the most effective way to tie/ set up a dipsey with a fly or flasher based on your expierence???

PS. I have spent l lots of time on this subject but was just wondering how you pro's set up the dipsey rod because there is many ways to do it. Thanks:)

Use wire, mono is terrible it's very hard to release the dipsy and you can't get as deep as wire plus wire has better hook-up rate due to no stretch. Run wire directly to dipsy, then a good strong section of mono or floro thats at least 40 lbs after the dipsy. I use 45lb floro leader line about the length of your dipsy rod, (works great and will not break), so mine is 9 1/2 foot aprox. Then attatch fly to the end with a very good swivel. 21 inch fly leader measure from end of hooks to end of leader. That should get you started after that you can play with different lengths. There are many topics in here on this type it in the search and you will find all you want on this, but this is how I do it. You do not need a snubber as long as you have a good strong leader to your dipsy.

Ok thanks very much. Now when you say attach the fly at the end do you mean the flasher then the fly? And do you use rubber clamps that you put in the wire to attach the dipsey to the wire because I know that is one way to do it.

Bluewater was thinking faster than he was typing 8)

Yes, he ment to say to connect the flasher to the leader coming off the back end of the dipsy. Your fly goes to the swivel on the back of the flasher.

Couple of points to consider:

Fly leaders should be about 3 times the length of the flasher. 8 inch flasher gets you around 24 inches. Longer leaders for faster trolling and shorter leaders for slower. I've found that if I pinch the leader at 22.5 inches from the head of the fly and do an overhand knot, I get a knotted leader just about 22 inches from the top of the loop to the top of the fly. Seems to work well for me when trolling from 1.8 to 2.2 mph. 11 inch flashers need a longer leader.

Snubbers are one of those things that will never be settled no matter how many beers you add to the arguement. Many of us use snubbers and many don't. Clear, single strand snubbers such as Opti are good. Pass on the bright, large Lure Jensen style snubbers.

As Bleuwater says, mono is a poor choice for anything but a short, shallow dipsy. You must be able to give the dipsy a sharp yank to release it. Mono will stretch, stretch and stretch some more and you won't be able to pop the dipsy to retrieve it until you reel it in closer. Not fun. 30# wire and 30# braid dive almost the same amounts per given lenght. The braid is much more forgiving than wire and may be a good starting point to learn with. Its main drawback is that it collects prodigious amounts of fleas, as does wire however; it is rather simple to remove fleas from wire while braid causes one to contemplate suicide.

The leader between the dipsy and flasher should be at least 30# mono. The total lenght of your terminal tackle from the heavy swivel at the end of your main line to the fly should be about as long as your rod. You can go longer if you have a tall boat and a long net.

For spoons, use a fluro or mono leader long enough for your spoon to reach the end of your rod when your dipsy is at the rod tip.

Whether you go with braid or wire, ensure you fill your reels to capicity by adding backing. Line counters work much more accurately when the spools are full.

Deploy it very slow by loosening your drag with clicker on. Just enough so it creaks out. Don't use the free spool release or you will end up with a twisted up mess and a spool of kinked wire that will have to be replaced. You might get bit while it deploys! And to keep track of which side: the lead part of the dipsey sinker goes down.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1026. i used a swivle befor and never had a problem with the way they swim. i have started to crimp the wire insted of the swivles. but agin cant say there is a diffrence but other than this what has been said here is great and the website is also a great reffrence. great luck to you

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1026. i used a swivle befor and never had a problem...

Crumcake is right - I used the wireline knot to tie on a big dreamweaver swivel, which I clip to the dipsy. I don't leave the pole set up when it's stored, but may start if I buy a set of the dipsy holders that Yankee Troller's been using.

I do the same...but leave mine set-up in the corner of the garage. I pull off the last foot of wire and re-tie the wire knots every 3 outings. Check the leader (for knicks) from dipsey to swivel before every outing. Usually change that every other outing.

I was taught to check the leader after every fish for nicks or line stretch (I use 30lb Big Game mono). We carry a bunch of pre-tied leaders so I don't have to tie new ones on the water. Learned that one the hard way, bouncing around in 3 footers. Why do you retie the wire?

I agree with all the above. I use a lighter leader around 30#. Haven't had any break offs.

So just to repeat in confermantion:

- yes to wire, no to mono - mono has way too much stretch and sucks on a dipsey

- wire directly to dipsey using a quick connect swivel. Tie wire line to swivel like this http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

- 10 feet of floro leader to flasher - I use 30# test.

- flasher or Spin Doctor

- 20 to 30" of lead to fly/spoon depending on length of flasher (3 times). I use 8" SD so I go with 24" lengths.

- speed!!!! Troll at 2.5 to 3.0 mph and alter this by zig zaging your course.

Mark

I was taught to check the leader after every fish for nicks or line stretch (I use 30lb Big Game mono). We carry a bunch of pre-tied leaders so I don't have to tie new ones on the water. Learned that one the hard way, bouncing around in 3 footers. Why do you retie the wire?

I re-tie the wire because the last 1-2 ft gets all squiggly. Reduced the likelihood of a kink and I like fresh knots.