non ethanol gas

Will non ethanol gas make my engine recover faster after trolling, right now it couphs and sputters for about 3 minutes and I use the blue ethanol treatment and the plugs got about 7 trips on them, if it does help I would definitely go out of my way to get non ethanol gas

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

2 stroke I presume? It has more to do with the oil mixed with the fuel in a 2 stroke running at a speed they are not optimized for, not ethanol.

Do this: add a startron-based additive like merc's quickleen to EVERY tank. It helps to remove the carbon deposits and prevent them from forming. It will save your rings too ;)

You can go a step further if needed and use a 'cleaner' burning oil semi-synth like premium plus or the full synthetics made for DFI motors.

Also, do make a point of running the motor above 3k rpm for a few minutes after every day of trolling (Up to 15 minutes if you can) to help burn off any accumulation that might still occur despite best efforts.

I've been doing the above on my DFI Optimax (at the reccommendation of Mercury) and have had no problems since. In fact my plugs have lasted a lot longer than the 100 hours (or annually) that merc reccommends for replacement, and the majority of those hours are trolling. I don't even put stabil in it anymore other than for winter.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Ok, that's a whole ,nother world then.

I would start by checking the plugs after a run to see if they are fouling, if so, you might be running rich (in need of tune) or weak spark.

Beyond that, it could be a whole host of things and I wouldn't hazard a guess which one to start with

2 stroke I presume? It has more to do with the oil mixed with the fuel in a 2 stroke running at a speed they are not optimized for, not ethanol.

Do this: add a startron-based additive like merc's quickleen to EVERY tank. It helps to remove the carbon deposits and prevent them from forming. It will save your rings too ;)

You can go a step further if needed and use a 'cleaner' burning oil semi-synth like premium plus or the full synthetics made for DFI motors.

Also, do make a point of running the motor above 3k rpm for a few minutes after every day of trolling (Up to 15 minutes if you can) to help burn off any accumulation that might still occur despite best efforts.

I've been doing the above on my DFI Optimax (at the reccommendation of Mercury) and have had no problems since. In fact my plugs have lasted a lot longer than the 100 hours (or annually) that merc reccommends for replacement, and the majority of those hours are trolling. I don't even put stabil in it anymore other than for winter.

What size is your motor. I have a 175 Merc EFI 2 stroke. I don't troll with it. Afraid to carbon it up. Always use my kicker for trolling for fear of messing up the big motor. would be nice to know that it would be OK to troll with.

As much as I hate the fraud of ethanol, I don't think its the fuel as much as what the fuel might have done damage-wise. It may have damaged your carb, eaten away at the inside of your fuel lines, or started "cleansing" the ancient crud inside your fuel tank. Any and all of these is caused by ethanol in fuel. Change your inline fuel filters. If your plugs continue to foul, then rebuild the carb and make sure your fuel line is sound.