Some 2012 highlights!

A true fishing fool and great photo story man! Once again, U have demonstrated your passion for chasin' fish of all kinds. Bowfishing too!. Of particular interest were the pictures of the carp after the eel.... 2 of the photos (the "other guy", followed by U) looked like a slightly different carp sub-specie...the color, body shape, head and mouth shape, dorsal fin and width of the caudal peduncle seem diff from common carp I've caught and seen. :wondering::wondering: ....and, well done! :yes: P.S....care 2 say where they were caught?

Panfisher they are grass carp. Actually the first year I've caught one. Thanks for the thumbs up. I love chasing and trying to get big fish. My goal is a sturgeon by the end of summer. Just picked up bowfishing up about a month ago. It's a blast. I don't mean to be rude by any means, but the water i got the grass carp in is pretty small, so I'm going to try and keep it quiet. They are very warry fish and spooky easily if over fished. I do know the pond infront of unity hospital has some though, if that helps

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Had 2 ask...Who knows...U might have given it up! Those R nice fish. Aren't they one of the carps that were introduced in the south by catfish farmers and spread and now might get into the Great Lakes via Chicago shipping canal. Not to get anyone stirred up. It is obvious they R not the phytoplankton eaters like the bigheads, or come flying out of the water with any boat noise like that other family member (silver carp?)...Those look sweet though. Do they fight any tougher than commons? And thanks for the tip....won't abuse it..

fisherman21... Yeah if anyone knows, U should about that one (hermit's comment)... Unless, of course U R going out the the west coast, where it is legal to catch and keep sturgeon. In California the legal take for white sturgeon is 1 per person per day, all year long. Kept fish between 46 and 66 inches only! Green sturgeon R illegal... ;)

Fisherman21... Just wiki'd up the story on the grass carp....noticed they were introduced for some of the same reasons the bighead and silvers were, but not in the same places (catfish farmers in the south). They are not at all like their benthic feeding cousins and seem like they would b great fighters compared 2 the common carp. Had no idea they were even around upstate NY... Will give them a try. And they say here that they are wary feeders as U have stated. Thanx.....(BTW... will definitely release any, if any, are caught, and will explore by myself!).

Fishing for sturgeon is a big no-no! They are protected and there is no open season. Other than that congrats on some nice fish.

What if one takes yer bait and runs off? How do you know what it is till it gets reeled up?

Fisherman21... Just wiki'd up the story on the grass carp....noticed they were introduced for some of the same reasons the bighead and silvers were, but not in the same places (catfish farmers in the south). They are not at all like their benthic feeding cousins and seem like they would b great fighters compared 2 the common carp. Had no idea they were even around upstate NY... Will give them a try. And they say here that they are wary feeders as U have stated. Thanx.....(BTW... will definitely release any, if any, are caught, and will explore by myself!).

panfish and hermit, if I caught a sturgeon it would be accidental. I have heard people have been catching a few off the peirs going for perch and catfish on minnows or worms. I do fish for catfish out on the pier a lot so if I incidentally caught one there would be nothing I could do. I would obviously release it unharmed. Just saying it one if the ny species I have never caught. And panfisher, good luck on the grass carp. Ill pm about it.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 1 month later...

We dont have grass carp up here but i would love to see a fish with more power than a 30+ lb common carp in the river. We catch them in skinny shallow rivers and it takes heavy line, tight drags and a little luck to keep them out of line cutting debris. Nice fishing man!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Fishing for sturgeon is a big no-no! They are protected and there is no open season. Other than that congrats on some nice fish.

What if one takes yer bait and runs off? How do you know what it is till it gets reeled up?

Sorry for the late reply trouthunter9, didn't see it until this got re-upped. Don't get me wrong I'd love to catch one too but wouldn't ever try to do it on purpose. The reason I made that comment was fisherman21's comment above:

My goal is a sturgeon by the end of summer.

To me a goal is something one actively works toward, so I took that to mean he was trying to catch one on purpose.