local goose numbers

Don't know about your areas but here in CNY the geese had a great breeding year. Took the kids out fishing/swimming the other day and saw 2 pairs together with 23 little ones and 2 other pairs with 10 and 11 little ones with them. Looks like it will be a good Sept. season. They are going to need to give us more than 45 days for the regular season or this local population is going to get more out of control then they already are. I hope the breeding pair counton the tundra is up. It would be nice to see a 90 day season again.

Baca....I was up to the St. Lawrence fishing last week. Slugs of adults and goslings everywhere. The tentative 2012-13 regs are out. Pretty much the same as last year. I agree that the season needs to be extended. I also live in CNY and last year the geese showed up here in big numbers a couple days after the season closed.

• 1 month later...
Baca....I was up to the St. Lawrence fishing last week. Slugs of adults and goslings everywhere. The tentative 2012-13 regs are out. Pretty much the same as last year. I agree that the season needs to be extended. I also live in CNY and last year the geese showed up here in big numbers a couple days after the season closed.

I saw the same thing last year, early goose season was terrible for me then when it closed I started to see many.

• 3 weeks later...

DUCK POPULATIONS AT RECORD HIGHS

July 12, 2012

Trend continues for continent’s breeding ducks

WASHINGTON, DC — Although breeding habitat conditions have declined from previous years, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s (USFWS) 2012 "Trends in Duck Breeding Populations" report estimates breeding waterfowl numbers in North America's duck factory is at a record high. This year's estimate of 48.6 million breeding ducks is significantly higher than the 45.6 million birds estimated last year and 43 percent above the long-term average.