Advice on Penn 309M Reels

Thinking about picking up some larger reels for rigger rods and possibly for leadcore. Thinking about maybe Penn 309M reels. Does anybody have experience fishing these? Specs say capacity is 350 yards of 30# mono, which I believe is as much or more than the Okuma Magda 45dx (330 yards of 30# mono) many folks appear to be running for leadcore. Should be plenty of capacity for riggers during flea season if spooling 30# and thinking they may also work for running up to 10 color leadcore with ample backing. Only downside I see is gear ratio is 2.8 : 1 whereas Okumas are 4.0 : 1. Is 2.8 : 1 ratio sufficient or should I focus on faster reels? Like the looks and durability of the Penn reels. Thanks!

I have one 309. It's really old, if that helps with durability. It is slow. Not a big concern for me. It's being used for a copper rig with 600 ft of 30# and 600 ft 30# power pro braid backing. Lead core should work fine on it.

I would buy another if I was going for lead core or shorter 45# copper. Good reel, loud clicker, smooth drag, great value..trade off is slow retrieve. My other rigger rods are 209 model.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have some and use them for riggers. I would not use them for large lead cores as they are too slow. A 10 color leadcore is already known as a widow maker without putting a slow retrieve rate on it. For the riggers I don't need to worry about the newbies horsing the fish.