cross lake 6-26-2012

fished from 530am till 1030am..from 2-30fow...castin and trolling for a tiger......im starting to believe that its not possible.to target this fish in cross lake!!!!!caught 2 lmb a perch and a 10lb cat..nothin with teeth....may start burning my fuel in the river for this fish...and so long 4 now;john

Tiger muskies also end up in Onondaga Lake from Nine Mile Creek. Stocked fish from Otisco Lake make it over the spillway into Nine Mile and eventually work their way into Onondaga Lake. They do travel.

Bob

i dont understand why they would leave!!plenty of cover and lots of forage...and limited fishing pressure.....in my 3 + yrs tring to catch one out of cross i think you can count on 1 hand how many times ive seen other anglers fishing 4 them..its mostly a bass and panfish crowd....mabey the water tastes funny???and so long 4 now'john

Kinda like fishing for walleye in Cayuga. People see them spawning in the spring but I have never heard anybody say lets go catch some walleye in Cayuga lake.

John, you seem determined. You'll find them and when you do it will mean more to you.

Tight lines.

Johnny,

that sucks to hear, as that was one of the places I wanted to try this summer :no::no:

it don't make any sense considering the amount of fish that get stocked in the system

they put more fish there than they do in ottisco

Cross Lake (Lysander)

Tiger muskellunge

Seneca River (Van Buren)

Tiger muskellunge

When I saw those numbers stocked I was real excited too about that system. Truth is, you can probably count half of those fish dead right off the bait, those tiger fingerlings are dumber than s**t and will sit right at the surface in the open for the bass, pike and birds to feast upon until sooner or later they figure out they're supposed to hide from predators!

There are definitely big fish in there though but tigers move a lot, they pretty much follow the food throughout the system. We managed to get one out of onondaga, I really think that lake is going to be a good spot for big tigers in the next few years. Until then, cross will be a good spot for some nice fish...just not good density. That river is a challenge because there is a lot of water, the clarity is real low, and not a ton of prominent structure other than a 20 ft dredged canal!

hey mike..i havent even tried the canal yet,,mabey its worth a shot..the boat traffic is bad so after 8am or so i cant imagine trin to fish it...i was thinking of trin the weedbeds in and around bonta bridge and weedsport.....any thoughts????and so long 4 now'john

honestly...those things can be anywhere in that system. Anywhere you can find backwaters, islands, or slack water fish it. I will be at otisco this weekend and possibly cross on sunday...anywhere from cross down to bville is a good shot since those fish cant pass through the damn as often.

I'd actually go up the other way even further than bonta bridge...up by montezuma I recall there being some sort of low head dam or something that seems to attract fish, oxygenates the water and is sort of an impass...heard stories of people fishing up that way in the spring for other species...pike comes to mind as being pulled from there. Have to believe the tigers would follow too. Been wanting to try that spot myself actually.

Down my the bville dam it gets to be shallows and rapids before the lock

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png