Sunday 6/24 - Today was one of our last days off until mid September, so we took this opportunity to grab the old man, and some friends and go have a relaxing day of derby fishing. We left the dock around 5:30/6 o’clock, and motored down to the ladders. The intention today was to scrape kings off the bottom in 100-150’ of water looking for a derby leaderboard fish. The picture got better the further East we trolled. by the end of the day the best picture was from the Glass House to Devils Nose.

We ran our three Cannon DT10’s pulling meat and flies, two wire divers pulling flies, and three coppers (300, 400, 500) pulling meat and spoons. The water got colder as we trolled East, and when it was ideal the screen lit up. Big Kings were hanging in the lower third of the water column. Our downriggers took some nice fish on meat, but it just wasn’t grabbing as many as we’d liked, so we pulled the meat on them and sent down 10†Dreamweaver Spin Doctors with an A-TOM-MIK B Fly and a Hoss Fly and started to light up the big guys. Our divers were taking whacks with green chips and A-TOM-MIK green crinkles, a Dreamweaver clear green dot Spin Doctor pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hammer Lime Live, and a Dreamweaver Green edge Spin Doctor pulling an A-TOM-MIK Pro Am. Lastly, The long coppers had a pretty good bite going on with meat.

We took some really nice fish. The biggest Salmon to hit the deck was 27lbs. Our catch consisted of a nice mixed bag of fish. We landed 15 Salmon (all year classes), two Lake Trout, a few Steelhead, and a beautiful 11lb Brown Trout. It was a very relaxing day with a nice lunch afterwards at the Black North Inn. Currently, our fish is in 6th place, but I don’t see it staying in the top 20 by the end of the Summer derby.

IMG_20120624_074731.jpg

IMG_20120624_121425.jpg

IMG_20120624_111527.jpg

Tripled on sharks!

IMG_20120624_120148.jpg

Check out this guy!

IMG_20120624_100333.jpg

So when and how did you lose the probe?

Nick

Cable snapped from a weak point I guess. We are now proud owners of a Sub-Troll 9000. Used in on Sunday, and I must admit I like it. We've now owned the Cannon Intelli-Troll, Moor Sub Troll, and the Depth Raider. When the Cannon worked the way it was intended to it was AMAZING. The Depth Raider was nice. Kind of a small display. The Moor has a nice large needle to display. However, the housing is kinda chintz on the display unit.

Nice report Rick. It is amazing how those deformed kings still manage to feed enough to surivive. Congrats on the derby king.

Tell me about it. He is still swimming out there. He took a meat rig off the rigger, so he didn't get too stressed.

Hey Rick,

Nice job on the board fish. When you run 10" Spinnies what leader length do you normally run to the fly? 30?

Thanks,

JAM

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Rule of thumb for leader length is 3x's the length of the paddle. Vary it to what the fish want.

"When the Cannon worked the way it was intended to it was AMAZING."

As always, great report, fish like that sure have a will to survive!

What problems were you having? Ours is brand new this year and it's been nothing but problems. It will work for an hour or less, and than go blank. A few hours later, it will come back on....or it will read depth and speed, but no temp. Nobody at cannon has been of any help either.

"When the Cannon worked the way it was intended to it was AMAZING."

As always, great report, fish like that sure have a will to survive!

What problems were you having? Ours is brand new this year and it's been nothing but problems. It will work for an hour or less, and than go blank. A few hours later, it will come back on....or it will read depth and speed, but no temp. Nobody at cannon has been of any help either.

Cannon has discontinued their SNT unit/probe. Straight from their brand manager I was told that their second attempt at making one didn't pan out like they were hoping, so they want to stick to what they do best. That's building downriggers. When it worked right we had the probe data displayed on the screen on our DT-10s, and with the CannonLink we had it displayed on our Humminbird 1198c. As of late we could only get a signal to the Intellitroll display head by putting a wet towel over the antenna. I would bet if you take a wet towel and wrap it around the downrigger boom and antenna you would get a signal. I know guys hat have to do this with Moor and Depth Raiders too. When the signal goes out just spray the towel with water.

Great report ,very imformative, thank you. It all helps. Congrats on the catch. :yes::yes:

Sounds like you really enjoyed the trip and put your heart and soul in it. :clap: I can't wait to get back up thier.

Len