is the x4 speed accurate at the ball?

I have a question on the speed accuracy at the ball. If down at 80ft with blow back figured in the equation, does the probe lose some speed because of the cable angle or will it maintain same speed as measured 5ft under the surface. I'm thinking of trying a test at a local lake with no deep currents to see if it reads the same 80 ft down verses 10ft down. The last time I had down temp it was a ray jeff unit so its been a few years.

Thanks, looking forward to august.

Roughrider out.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

i dont really think that it matters if its accurate. lets say the fish are hitting when youre in the 2.3-2.4 mph zone....according to your fish hawk. does it matter if your actual speed is really 2.6-2.7 or that you are able to keep your boat on the fish hawks indicated 2.3-2.4 speed producing more strikes? I feel the probes are more for repeating presentations once you start getting hits on your boat.

I've often wondered the same thing. There are times I think it does matter if it is accurate at an angle or not.

For instance, started trolling with the current and got hits at 2.4 downspeed. Turned around to go against the current and now I can see the blowback is worse and the cable is at a higher angle, and I am left wondering if I should adjust back to 2.4?

Go with what your probe is telling you for speed. If you are used to setting your speed by angle of cable, you need to learn to trust your probe. If you are getting a side slip on your cables adjust your heading. If you have to crank it up to get your speed get your downspeed where you want it. Use GPS SOG along with your downspeed. The probe will put way more fish in the boat than watching cable angle. I wouldn't want to give up my probe.

Did the home lake test today, unit matched speed at 10ft to 80ft depths with 12lb ball And dodger, fly behind it too within .3 mph at 3mph against 2 different gps units. One thing that saw a big difference is at speeds around 4mph the probe slides side to side like a j plug and gives a large difference around 1mph faster than gps readings. I was very impressed with unit as a whole , although the surface speed function reads 0 now the company is sending another ducer to try no questions asked.great coustomer support. Thanks for responses guys.

Roughrider out

• 2 weeks later...

To finish up, Trevor at fishhawk sent me a new screen unit to try and that fixed the surface speed question. The customer service is outstanding. No questions asked, they just sent me

New parts. I would highly recommend them.

Now if I could only get the boat wet. Hope to get up next weekend with my new to me rig.

Talk about Brake out another thousand, I'm getting close to 5Gs in boat add ons. I'm gonna post some pictures this weekend. These fishing reports are becoming addictive!

Roughrider out.

I asked the last 20 salmon I caught while dragging the X4 probe how fast they thought that S/D Fly was going when they nailed it and they all said exactly what I was reading on the X4 display right to the tenth. So I'd say they are SPOT ON. This is what happens when I drink beer after working in the sun all day. :lol::lol::rofl::rofl::D:D Hope this helps ! X4 is one of my best fishing investments.!!!!

I may be anal about the speed but after running all my spoon brands, different flasher makes next to the boat watching the action I charted minimum, max, and optimal speeds for each. Around my place the waters are only good for boat rides anyway. Good luck with the barn building.

Roughrider out

I was just bustn! Alcohol induced. I think it is great that you are taking it to the level of testing each spoon/lures min.s and maxes.

Detalis matter! We all know the longer you are on speed and in the zone the more fish will hit the deck!! :clap: