Would This Work

I really don't want to buy wire line for deep water dipsy fishing. I have a rod spooled with 30# braid. This may be a stupid idea but what if I thread a 1 oz. egg sinker on the line, tie on the snap swivel and clip on the dipsy? Would that work effectively at getting the dipsy deeper or would it negatively effect how it tracks?

I think the braid will get pretty deep...alot deeper compared to mono but I think the big issue this time of year when fishing lake ontario is the fleas. Braided line is a nightmare with the fleas. I have not been out on lake ontario in a while but judging by the reports the fleas are a real PITA right now.

Tom

30lb braid has a dive curve that is nearly identical to 30lb wire. To go deeper, use a mag dipsy. Fleas, fleas and more fleas.

Other options for getting deep with your braid:

Run it as a pump handle off an in line board.

Run a smaller dipsy off your rigger ball on the braid and then, stack another rod a bit higher.

Not to be the broken record, but I fished #30 braid years ago the first time I had ever fished on Lake O, the fleas were terrible. Had to cut the braid and hand wind the dipsy in. If you don't want to invest in wire, run #30 mono and Walker Deeper Divers. You can achieve depths of 55-60 feet. Took several big kings using mono each year. This is what I did before buying a few wires from a guy on this site.