1st Wire Rig, which rod; Diawa Heartland or Okuma Blue Dia?

I am rigging my first wire rig for a dippsy rig.

I purchased a Diawa Sealine 47 line counter reel, 1000' of 30# wire and 30# big game for backing and leaders.

I have been looking at both the Diawa Heartland 9'6" dippsy rod and the Okuma Blue Diamond 10' dippsy rod and cannot decide which to buy.

Which of the above (2) rods would you recommend?

Thanks,

Trout Bum

I have the heartlands for brown trout rods, 12-20 and I have Blue Diamond roller dipsey rods which I love but had to get used to. I have the 8'6' roller rods. The only problem is that you have to have them turned at the correct angle if you have the roller rods because the line can get caught between the roller and side of the eyelet and a fish can snap you off. :devil: I had it happen but have since learned how to have the rod lay. If you get the regular blue Diamond without the rollers, I would say go for it. I like the bend and action of them. They are discontinuing them this year and redesigning them for the future. On the other hand Heartlands are an all around good rod, whether trolling of downrigging. Just need to add a twilli tip. You can't go wrong with them.

I've used both on my boat. Either choice is a good one.

My preference now is the roller guide Blue Diamond, but I use a 8'6 MH. I don't like the long, softer rods with a lot of bend. My boat is 18', so a 10'6 rod makes it very difficult to land a fish with the long, softer rod. Especially when fishing solo or with an inexperienced partner.

A lightly set drag will give you the same thrill with the heavier pole as you get with the long soft pole. Boat length (fish fighting/landing space) is important when selecting rod length.

I have used both rods before and like both of them but they both have a softer action. I Prefer the 10 ft ugly stick dipsey rods because of the faster action you have more control of the fish. Also they keep your wire out away from the outside riggers. The only complaint I have is the butt section is a little on the long side. I would stay away from the roller rods. Good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I have used both rods before and like both of them but they both have a softer action. I Prefer the 10 ft ugly stick dipsey rods because of the faster action you have more control of the fish. Also they keep your wire out away from the outside riggers. The only complaint I have is the butt section is a little on the long side. I would stay away from the roller rods. Good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

We run 10' Ugly Sticks as well. :yes:

Those whippy "yellow" ones hang in the basement now.