PRO AM RULES

I know Dave and Joe from Screamer pretty good too and to make a slight adjustment to Jimmy's post they don't practice but one day before the pro-am. This is one of thier biggest arguments. Capt's are out there on the water a lot more than they are. Dave and Joe are weekend warriors, and thats it! It is very hard to compete against people who could have been out there for a week straight patterning the fish. Some capt's do this to offset some of the cost of the tourney.

I also agree with the post that when your winning people start dogging you! And im not reffering to anyone on this forum. But they hear it at every event! "Why arent you going pro?" Or people talk about it behind thier backs. Its like this in every type of sporting event!

IMHO.......if i was winning 5k 2-3 times a year.........I dont think i would change a thing! :lol:

Yvan - keep your Canadian thoughts to yourself! LMAO!!!!! Cant wait till May dude! By the way.....what the hell did you buy? Didnt you just get that boat rigged the way you wanted it with the hardtop? By the way did Scotty start to produce those rod holders you had on it or would I still have to cut out some of it?

Yankee,

I am sincere when I say I did not intend to put Screamer into this and my comments were truthlfully generalized with tournaments. Every team that fishes pro ams put a lot of money and effort to make these events happen and we do not want them to go away. This discussion was about rule changes and ideas and I still believe in what I said.

If you look at the pro division they are not all charter captains. In fact maore than 1/2 are weekend warriors that prefish 1-2 days. That doesn't put them in a lesser caliber. Some weekend guys would put some charter captains to shame.

Like I said amateur division should be for amateurs.

If you want to enter and be "lucky" enough to win you might as well play the lottery.

Easy Ace.....I resemble that remark!!

Hey, We all know ya can't please everyone. I do think there should be a point a team should go pro, but is that really "punishing" them? I don't know about that. They could double their winnings...that's my kind of punishment!!

I personally don't care. Screamer sets the mark very high and I really respect that. I know we are not going to have a shot unless we bring our A game, and I worked as hard as anyone last year, often fishing four to five days a week on the lake to improve my fishing. Luck may get you a fish, but It won't fill your box with 20 lbers. Hard work and dedication does that.

Rod K

Team Lucky Enuff

• 2 weeks later...

One change I’d like to see for next year is the rule about previous charter captains being permitted only to compete in the pro-division. I only say this because my grandfather use to charter over 20 years ago. It’s obvious that the tactics used today are extremely different than they were in the 80’s. I think a change in the rule like a charter captain within the last 20 or 15 years has to compete in the pro division should suffice.

what do you guys think about this?

Here's how they do it:

Q. Do you take charters in tournaments?

A. Yes, as a matter of fact we fish all tournaments with charter customers. If you are interested, contact us about the details for availability

plus winning helps!

• 1 month later...

I would like to see a no communication rule enforced.Tournaments should be won on your own skills.It seems to be all about who you know and if you are in the loop.I have witnessed one boat finding the fish and then calling in all of his buddies.What do you guy,s think of no cell phones or radios?

Some of the Pro-Ams have a no cell phone, no radio contact rule already.

If your reffering to LO...nothey dont.

As for the open communication, I wouldnt expect to see a change anytime soon. As far as the t-comittee is concerned (and other people involed in the tourneys) there is no way to poilce this. Thier thoughts are dont have a rule you cant enforce.

I could have sworn last years Pro-Am web site had some tournament locations not allowing cell phones......in re-checking the updated site I see I may have been mistaken? Oh well, my bad.

Whats to say a captain cant stash his blakberry in the head of his boat and the observer is thinking he is taking a leak but he is e-mailing or texting his buddies.........not my rule nor do I like it but its a reality. When you have this much money on the line you need rules that are enforceable.

Unless your buddies are fishing the other division (Pro vs Am) why would anyone who's on fish call in their buddies fishing the same division and competing against them? Seems like a great way to cut your own throat.

Tim

I do not believe a sponsorship should dictate a class of competition!! Why should this be a rule? Should "Bush" cars not be allotted the right for a sponsorship just due to not running with the big dogs? There are sponsorships covering/helping the butts of many competitive types in many sports, events etc.

Team Screamer Dave, Joe and crew are some serious players, they play for real !! They take it to the next level each season competing against many tough teams. I think they'd be crazy to make a move, some of the stiffest competition available on Lake Ontario resides within the LO AM teams !!! (: (: (:

Tom

Not to stray from the current subject on the Pro Am, but I looked up the rules from the Marlin Tournament I was in. I know we didn't have an observer, but only being a guest team member I didn't read the rules. Here is how they handle Bill fish tourneys.....which are much more lucrative (entry fee was $4000 per team). Just thought it may help my earlier post sound less bazaar :lol:

RELEASE RULES

All teams must provide their own digital still or video camera to verify releases. The camera must show the correct time and date on each photo or video. To score an official release, the fish must be at leader and an identifiable photo must be taken of the fish, showing the control-number code, time and date. When you know you are going to release the fish, you must call tournament control and ask for the control-number code. The control-number code will be between 1 and 5. Then have your designated photographer or any other crew member hold up the number with his/her fingers or number card next to the fish as the photo is taken. The photo must identify the species, number code, time and date.

After the release photo is taken, the official time, species, control number and angler name must be written on the catch-report affidavit. Each registered angler and boat captain must then sign the catch-report affidavit. At the end of the day’s fishing, the camera, catch-report affidavit and all photos or video footage taken must be brought to the weigh station for verification of official release points. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of that day’s catch.

Catch-Report Affidavit

All catches must be recorded on the catch-report-affidavit sheets provided. The official time, species, control-number code and angler name must be written on the catch-report affidavit. Each registered angler and boat captain must then sign the catch-report affidavit. The catch-report-affidavit sheets must be turned in at the weigh station each day whether you catch a fish or not.

• In the event of a tie, the team reaching the highest score first wins.

• All winners may be asked to take and pass a polygraph examination.