PRO AM RULES

Years ago the Oswego Pro Am had a statement in the rules regarding NO COMMUNICATION reading that the observer would "collect and hold all cell phones until the conclusion of the fishing day".

Now this would preclude a "captain" (pro or amatuer) from hiding some messaging electronic device in the head. But now if I was the observer I am going to go inspect the head right away?!?!?

NO COMMUNICATION worked well for over 10 years in Oswego at the Pro/Am !! My buddies and I use to line up to be observers and make 50 bucks/day throughout the 90's, cell phones certainly weren't then what they are today but there was NO COMMUNICATION, so the competitors simply didn't communicate, period. During the 00's the observers did a great job by collecting the cell's and such, and there was still NO COMUNICATION, it worked well with the anglers in my opinion, there was no reason to open up communication, but like was stated it happened so we all will still compete, just do not like it, there is a majority who would rather not have it.

Tom

Given a choice, I'd prefer no communication as a general rule. Realistically, With today's technology, people will find a way to communicate if they want to. Regardless of weather your buddies in the other division are telling you where they found fish ...you still have to be catch the fish!.

This thread started on the principle of rules we'd like to see added or changed.

Besides the ones already discussed, how do you feel about the following additions:

ONLY IN THE CASE OF AN EMERGENCY confirmed by tournament control, may a vessel entered in the tournament be involved in handing off, or receiving anything from another vessel whether or not that vessel is entered in the tournament. Boats shall not be permitted within 50 yards of another vessel.

ALSO...how about a prize for juniors? I know few juniors fish, but maybe if we had a junior class that would change? I don't see anything in the rules on age restrictions except for the observer. Something simple to get them involved?

How do u judge 50 yards, who judges the fifty yards?? The Observer I had on my boat for one of the tournaments last year could not read or write!! Thats a fact because he couldnt do anything with the clipboard! And if 2 boats are working the same piece of water from opposite directions and we follow Rules of the road that still puts you within 50 yards who has to move??????? Now thats a rule thats uninforceable!!!

I worked the same piece of water with lots of boats last yr and 98% of the time it was fine. Now when a certain boat took my 400 copper and everything including the backing and the board, I chalked that up to the other person not understanding current fishing techniques.

Biggest Fish for Juniors is a good idea!!! I am all for that. They havent perfected the rules they have lets not add more!!!

NO COMMUNICATION!!!! Come on Spring!!!!!!!

Brian

Team Tall Tails

It's actually a very common rule in sport fishing tournaments Brian. Most sport fish tournaments implement such a rule, especially since many sportfish tournaments don't require observers. Only diff. is that it's most always more than 50 yards. I've seen the rule to be as much as 500 yards, but that would not be realistic on an inland lake. It's not meant to be an exact science, and your not expected to get out the yard stick. Not every rule has to be policed. Your expected to obied by them without having to have someone watch your every move.

Not every rule has to be policed. Your expected to obied by them without having to have someone watch your every move.

AMEN........ Hence: NO COMMUNICATION........... For 2 seasons now I honestly thought I was the only one who felt this way !!!

The issue shouldn't be can a rule be enforced, I would think a rule should favor the majority vote. If NO COMMUNICATION is in place a majority of the players are going to follow suit. Why are we worried about a few bad apples who might not?

Team A VS. Team B, not Team A and buddies VS. Team B and buddies!!! C'mon !!!!!!!!!

State laws for drunk drivers or speeders aren't suppressed due to the fact people are still driving drunk or speeding, the laws are made stiffer for persuasion purposes. If you get caught there is a fine.

Team Cold Steel would obied, would your team? (Generally speaking to the minority vote) Are you that unsure of your ability to follow a rule or that unsure of your ability to catch a fish without your buddies help that you would just as well open up communication to favor far less anglers?

Tom