Help with panfishing

My girlfriends kids are coming to stay with me at my cottage next week on the south end of Seneca. I fished for panfish as a kid and never had any problem putting a minnow down with some split shot off the dock or from the canoe and catching a nice mixed bag of perch, rockbass and smallies. Last summer they came up and we tried with minnows/worms off the dock for hours without much to show. I know the lake has changed a lot with the weeds, zebra mussels, etc and haven't seen the panfish around the shallows I remember as a kid.

So long story short, any advice on techniques/places nearby that a 6 and 8 yr old with limited patience can easily catch fish. Don't think they would get that psyched with trolling (I might try one morning anyway). They have only fished a couple times with me and have very limited casting and patience skills. They do love bobbers as all kids do I'm sure. The good thing is that a 3 inch sunfish makes them very excited.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

you should be able to find some panfish out in the boat.. look for weeds and dropoffs. even the perch in the summer like to hide and stay cool in the weeds.. now would'nt that be nice to run into some jumbo's, most are deep, real deep..

I have found them in the weeds on a hot summer day... good luck

but have not fished seneca in a few years... do miss it though.

Go to the feed store and buy a 50# bag of field corn. Throw out about a pound twice a day or more. If you have old bread or bake goods, this will work too. After you have chummed them good. I would use worms, soft corn, minnows, crayfish. It usually takes a few days for them to come in but fish like a free meal and this usually works well anywhere. Remember, if you stop chumming they will leave. I have caught some of my biggest pan fish doing this as a kid. The bonus is that the smallies and the carp and the bull head will be right there in the mix. The carp in Seneca are huge so I imagine that you will want to make sure the poles are secure or really inexpensive. Also, while the kids are chasing the smaller fish, throw some stick baits or spoons out deeper and see if you can't pick up a larger predator. They follow the food train too.