CATCH AND RELEASE METHODS

WE FISH THE SPRING AND SUMMER DERBYS. THIS YEAR WE GOT TO FISH THE SUMMER DERBY, WE RELEASE 99% OF FISH CAUGHT, UNLESS GILL HOOKED. WE HOLD FISH BY TAIL AND BOAT SLOWLY MOVES FORWARD WE GET WATER MOVING THROUGH GILLS. THIS SPRING WE STARTED HOLDING FISH BY TAIL ABOUT 3 TO 4 FEET ABOVE WATER AND DROP FISH STRAIGHT DOWN, NOSE FIRST. THE FISH SEEM TO REJUVINATE QUICKLY . ANYONE ELSE TRY THIS METHOD?

I also like to thrust the fish in head first to force water through their gills. Also sends them down to deeper/colder water faster. Couple things to consider are to burp the fish by rubbing their belly if they are taken from deep water and try and keep them out of the water as little as possible. I don't even net the little guys, just unhook them off the side of the boat. I also know some folks that went to single hooks instead of trebles. Really doesn't have an impact on their hook up rate.

I also like to thrust the fish in head first to force water through their gills. Also sends them down to deeper/colder water faster. Couple things to consider are to burp the fish by rubbing their belly if they are taken from deep water and try and keep them out of the water as little as possible. I don't even net the little guys, just unhook them off the side of the boat. I also know some folks that went to single hooks instead of trebles. Really doesn't have an impact on their hook up rate.

wouldnt you want to avoid touching them as much as possible?

With the lakers, I like to squeeze the belly a little bit behind the gills to get the air out and then send them deep like a torpedo (as you've described). It works almost every time.

I am curious to try the sleeper hold, though. Brings back fond WWF memories. Ray, do you have to come up with a cool wrestling nickname to use when trying this move? If so, I need to start thinking about mine...

I've been trying to hold them by the tail in the water behind the boat as we continue trolling. The small guys revive quick, but I've had poor success with the big boys.

So really - can you guys tell me in enough detail what is the best technique, as I feel bad about seeing a big floating fish.

Thanks!

Well the real number way to best survival for the fish is get it to the boat as fast as possable...enjoy the fight but dont milk the drag,,,,

I rarely use a net if not derby fishing ,its pretty tuff and ya gotta be careful of loose hooks. have yer pliers handy for quick hook removal in the net...and get it back to the water asap.....

If you just ran a 20 mile run and got to the finish you would just lay their for a few min,,,(or days) and to a passerby youd look dead...till they kicked ya ....

Time outa water is much worse than time outa temp IMO....dont let the fish flop on the deck while ya high five ,have yer camera in a handy spot if ya want a quick pic..and celebrate after the fish is released.....

Ray is on the right track here. If you are serious about the survival of the fish you will not use the net, you will not touch the fish and you will not bring them into the boat. The #1 killer of caught and released fish is infection caused by the loss of the protective slime that coats the fish.

Here is the best way: Bring the fish to the boat quickly as ray stated, use a boga grip to lip the fish while you unhook it and release it immediately. If it is a big guy and you want pictures lift it with the boga grip for pics.

Okay well I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion but I think it's a terrible idea to lift fish vertically with Bogas or any other lip gripper.

How would you like to be lifted by your lower jaw? Sure people are different than fish but in their native environment they are supported by water and aren't designed to be out of the water in the first place.

I couldn't find any info about trout but I know from experience when handling fish I've kept I could feel internal structures ripping/dislocating when holding them by the tail and that's a fair amount of surface area to hold the weight, unlike a gripper where it's all concentrated in a small area. It can't be good for the fish.

Did some googling, couldn't find anything specifically about trout or salmon but here's what I found: 80% of bonefish were damaged by lip grippers, an Australian study on Barramundi found lots of damage, and plenty of fisheries biologists do not recommend vertically lifting fish. Often the damage is internal (such as stretching out the spine or doing damage to the neck area) and you may release the fish thinking all is fine only to have it die later.

Say what you will but if you're going to use Bogas use your other hand to support the weight and hold it horizontally, and if you want to weigh the fish, doing it with the net or in a sling.

Worth looking at:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165783608001781

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/M08-232.1

http://capmel.com/index.php/articles/captain-mel-berman/639-anglers-more-conservation-minded

http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/fishing/catch-and-release-tips-big-pike-and-muskies

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/fish/snook/reduce-catch-release-mortality/

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-38676.html

just wet yer paws before ya handle em , Carl has problem with the slime cause it makes his hand smell like fishies..In fla.reef fishing yer required to have a needle devise to poke the float bladder so the fish can get back down. That means holding the fish, puttin a hole in it and releasing it...Yup thats their best chance for survival acording to the Fla. fisheries..I imagine the slime is a secreation that the fish can replace in a short time. but i ant no specialest....But as far as lifting something by a small part of it body ,I remember in boot camp the DI's(drill instructure) had a few big guys dancing on their tip toes to ease the possiabilty of gettin their thingy ripped off....when they screwed up.... :lol: