Copper to mono leader knot?

80 lb hollow core braid wind on leader. No knot .....smooth transition...will absolutely NOT fail in the connection..no bulges ...100% strength integrity from copper to backing or copper to flourocarbon. Taken viscous hits off the outriggers countless times with a huge amount of shock load on take up of slack to load the rod no problem...ever for three seasons now.

Drawbacks....tedious to rig...a jig is helpfull and serving bobin

If in the unlikely event the copper breaks..unless you got pigtails..I would revert back to the albright knot while fishing on the boat for easier quick fix.

Mark

IMAG1098.jpg

image upload

IMAG1098_1.jpg

hosting images

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Mark, are you burning the end of the hollow core to fuse it to the copper? I've tried the hollow core idea and it has cost me THREE copper setups this year alone. In fact, I've got another order of Blood Run Super Copper on the way to replace a 500 that is sitting on the bottom. :@

Spro swivel, haywire twist and shrink tubing. Easy to tie and more dependable than the albright knot.

What determies that its more dependable?

Albright knot has failed a couple times on me in 4 years of running copper. The Haywire and Spro has not failed yet.

Spro swivel, haywire twist and shrink tubing. Easy to tie and more dependable than the albright knot.

What determies that its more dependable?

Albright knot has failed a couple times on me in 4 years of running copper. The Haywire and Spro has not failed yet.

The weak point of a mono termination is at the knot where it attaches to a hard metal object like a swivel or a hook. So IMO terminating mono (leader) to copper which is soft metal compared to the spro swivel is much more forgiving. The swivel to the PP backing i do as well.

Mark, are you burning the end of the hollow core to fuse it to the copper? I've tried the hollow core idea and it has cost me THREE copper setups this year alone. In fact, I've got another order of Blood Run Super Copper on the way to replace a 500 that is sitting on the bottom. :@

Paul, what I have done in those pics is used glue to encase the serving. I have tried to just leave the serving as is but it will eventually come unraveled without some cement on it. I am assuming that if you lost the whole copper it came loose from the backing. Are you using the 80 lb hollow core on 45 lb copper? Did you run it up the copper at least 5 feet or more? Also when you serve it to the copper go from the hollow core towards the copper and stop serving right at the end where it meets the copper. I use at least 6 or 8 half hitch whip finish knots like on a trout fly head. Then apply the cement to the whole serving. In the pics the cement is actually gorilla glue, not the choice I usually would use but it works.

For the serving I use 30 lb power pro braid.

Also do you use a loop to loop connection on the other end of the hollow core or do you hook latch it back into itself. I just tie a perfection loop knot in the end of the hollow core and attach the backing with a double improved clinch knot in the braid backing to the loop in the hollow core.

On the terminal end to the flourocarbon I do the same except the leader gets a perfection loop knot and the connection is a loop to loop there.

Hope this helps, can't figure out how this could keep happening, I haven't had an issue except for the serving when it wasn't glued.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I know on the first two I didn't have enough copper inside the hollow core. I used Super glue gel which, I found out, does not work well. :no: I tried regular super glue and it seems to work better but I really like the idea of serving it first with the braid.

To attach the leader I simply use back to back Willis knots like I was working with leadcore and have not had a problem there.

Thanks for the info.

Next time you're at the Oak stop by the boat for a :beer:

Serving is key, I know it is tedious, but I try to get at least an inch wrapped as tight as I can get it. More is better. The reason I don't go beyond the hollow core onto the copper with the serving is that it tends to be slippery on the copper and it won't adhere to the copper with glue. The serving can actually work back and forth after many cycles on and off the reel if it is on the copper and the whip finish knot will come undone over time. If you can use a bobin and put the union in a jig to hold it in tension, the serving can be pretty easy to quickly wrap. I just do mine by hand and it is ok but it does require more finesse and patience.

Thanks for the offer on the brew, would be good to chat for a bit....Mark

The weak point of a mono termination is at the knot where it attaches to a hard metal object like a swivel or a hook. So IMO terminating mono (leader) to copper which is soft metal compared to the spro swivel is much more forgiving. The swivel to the PP backing i do as well.

IMO, I would trust a Spro swivel tied to mono with a Uni knot over the albright. Watch knot wars on North American Fishermen and the Uni is one of the strongest knots out there. The Albright knot did not do well at all during their tests.

• 1 year later...

tie in a 15' section of 50# mono to attach the board too. I would think that the clip on the board slipped down on the PP to where the copper was attached and caused it to break at that connection, just my guess on the break

Edited by scobar

• 2 weeks later...