Smoked Trout Hash

Smoked Trout Hash

Serves 2 hungry people or 3 smaller portions.

16-20 oz Russet potatoes (2 medium/large potatoes)

8 oz smoked trout or salmon

4 oz (3/4 C) chopped onion or to taste

2 oz (4 T) duck fat (*see note below)

2-3 eggs

Chopped fresh dill for garnish (optional)

Pepper to taste

*lard or sunflower/canola oil is also good. You can use bacon grease but it has a stronger flavor, I'd really recommend the duck fat, lard, or oil before bacon grease. You can also get away with 3 T of fat/oil if you're trying to be healthier.

Scrub and cut up the potatoes. Mine usually end up 1/2" x 1/2" x 1" or so.

Put in 12" frying pan with 1 C of water, cover, and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Drain water.

While the potatoes are cooking cut up onion into similarly sized pieces and shred the smoked trout into small chunks.

Return heat on pan to high. Add duck fat or other fat/oil. When its starts sizzling turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning over occasionally until starting to brown.

In another pot or pan start to boil 1-2 quarts water, or prepare your favorite method of poaching eggs. Turn down heat to a gentle simmer after boiling.

Add onions to the potato pan and cook another 6-10 minutes or until potatoes are done and browning nicely. Also add a little ground black pepper at this stage.

Add shredded smoked trout. Stir until mixed through and hot.

Poach 1 egg per person for 3 minutes.

Put a big pile of hash on your plate, cover with poached egg and add fresh dill garnish if using. Enjoy!

Add salt to taste if necessary, both my duck fat and smoked trout are salty so I usually don't add any extra salt.

Oh yeah eat a salad or something too… I often make collard greens to go with this.