ok same range as I use, but I have problem to have consistant strike on the flasher flies whatever I've tried. I'm starting to thing that 2.8 is to fast for the spin doctor.

Absolutely not. Talking GPS SOG (speed over ground) 2.7- 2.9 is optimal under most conditions--whether pulling spin doctors, spoons or both. Don't overthink it.

ok same range as I use, but I have problem to have consistant strike on the flasher flies whatever I've tried. I'm starting to thing that 2.8 is to fast for the spin doctor.

Absolutely not. Talking GPS SOG (speed over ground) 2.7- 2.9 is optimal under most conditions--whether pulling spin doctors, spoons or both. Don't overthink it.

Concur with Paul............get the boat moving between 2.5 - 3 and then put your effort into finding a trolling direction where all the lines are straight behind the boat. You will get most of your hits when lines are straight or just after turning off straight. The more directions that you can get "Straight" the better your day will be, but currents are in control of this -- not us!!

thanks for your comment.

I use the fishhawck and when I've got the proper speed I turn on the autopilot that keep the same gps speed and bearing. I have a pretty well equipped boat running 4 riggers, 1 wire dipsy, 1 braid dipsy and 2-3 lead cores. The problem is I'm only 4-5 days a year on the big O, and I don't have so much time to experiment.

I have very good result with spoons, but as you know it's never enough and I do a fixation to make those flasher working.

I can have very consistant bites on spoons but I cannot have a single attack on a flasher whaterver I try.

Maybe you can see what's wrong in my setup

-the line is connected in the first hole of the front of the spin doctor

-the fly is connected to the spin in the hole that are on the same side of the fin of the SD

-The distance from the SD to the fliy is: I wrap the fly around the SD and I do 2.5 turns or 3 turns

-I've tried the flasher on the rigger and the dispy at 40 to 60 ft depth (same depth as where the spoon firing)

-I have a lot of flasher color but I don't know the color name of the flies I have, but I always use a fly that have the same color as the flasher. I used Port hopper flies and Atomik flies.

Here are the flasher colors I spent the most time with:

-double crush glow white on white

-double crush glow green

-white nuclear

-glow frog

-dark green NBK/chrome

When I use a flasher on a rigger, I Always use it in a combinaison with an other rigger. I have the corner rigger rigged on a flaher and I have a boom rigger rigged with a spoon 5-10ft lower and 5-10 longer leader. on opposite side of the boat I do the same thing but with the spoon in top and flasher on the deeper rigger. spoons are in fire but flasher wont. and if I remove the flasher and use a spoon (the same as the one is a little lower on the rigger) the spoon fire sometime.

hope you see something wrong in my setup, because I don't know what to do.

Sounds like the flashers are doing their job though, drawing fish into your spread. I don't know what depth you're fishing but have you tried running everything deeper, around the bottom third of the water column? Sounds like the big guys are moving deeper and the steelhead and skippers are higher and more spread out.

LOL, I knew you would say that...

but I would like to have some bites on the flasher.

Btw, I always run my stuffs depth enough to avoid Rainbow attack, I looking for king only.

Have you ever taken an on the water class with a reputable captain? Not for nothing, but if you only have 4 or 5 days a year to fish using one of them on an on the water class would save you an incredible amount of experimentation (and frustration).

There are several captains along the south shore that will do on the water instruction. In fact, I have one coming up on Friday July 20th. :D (Shameless plug)

PM or give me a call for more info.

I would recommend that you get out of the "combination" mindset and mix it up a little.

Take a white crush glow flasher and run any of the following flys:

No-see-um

Green

Blue

black

Yellow flashers work well with green flys.

Try running just one flasher (white with blue) first thing in the morning 25' behind the ball in 54 degree water (use Fishhawk) on the other riggers put you favorite spoons -- DO not put white and blue spoons out -- unless they are your favorite spoons!!!

Try Spoons on the riggers and flashers on the the dipsys -- I have run many consecutive, successful trips without every putting a flasher on a rigger with most big kings coming on the dipsys.