Scotty Downrigger's

Finally had a chance to see Scotty riggers in action yesterday for the short time we stayed on the water with the 6-7ft chop! I was very inpressed with how solid and fast they were! Also seamed very user friendly. I currently have Cannons on my boat but am serioulsy considering switching over! Was wondering what all the guys who use them now or in the past thought?? All positives and negatives would really help me out with a decision!

Thanks Alot

-Matt-

-Jakey Baby-

Running Scottys since 1994.

Don't have any negatives to speak of.

Probably the two things that bother me the most is the sight windows fog up on occasion and if you bring up a plastic bag or weeds on the cable

it will slide the auto stop beads down the cable when the weeds get caught in the front roller.

It only takes a couple seconds to open the top cover and wipe the sight window clean and if your in weedy or debris filled areas you just got to keep an eye on the cable coming up.

Very minor.

The riggers are strong, trouble free and just keep on fishing.

Good luck

Glen

Scotty riggers are by far better than any other rigger I have used and I have used cannon big jon invader and proos. Very simple nd user friendly. Currently using 2116hp pro pacxks no fogging issue with back lit display user friendly rod holders and much faster than the 1116 rigger which are really fast enough. only ever replaced 2 switches no big deal great rigger still own my riggers I bought in 1997 from scotty. They just make sense no trouble with 20lb weights great rigger

I will be careful what I say here because my experiences with downriggers and factual comments have been censored in the past.

I used a Certain brAnd of dowNrigger for 25 years aNd watched as the cOmpany weNt from a made in the USA, stand behind what you make machine shop to a total big corp sellout. (IMO)

I tried Big Jons for half a season but "I" did not like them (nor did I enjoy ordering parts for 1 month old riggers)

I switched to the toasters (Scotty's, they look like a kitchen appliance but it ends there) and have had them on the boat for about 5 seasons and I like them. When you approach 1000 hours you should keep get a spare counter on board other than that no problems at all. A big plus for me is that they are "Stupid easy"!!! (Even replacing the counter)

yup, I retired my old cannon mag10As for Scottys in 2003 and I firmly believe they are the best riggers on the market rock solid reliable and fast. I won one of the new HP Scottys at the Wilson Harbor Invitational last year but it never made it on the boat, so this spring I just sold one of my original ones to offset the purchase of a second HP.

I am going to a 3 rigger setup this year and moved the other old Scotty to the center (probe rigger) and installed the 2 new ones on the corners. After lots of boat problems this spring I'm finally getting in the the water this weekend. I'm really looking forward to playing with the new ones.

If you ask around the repair centers, they'll tell you the only ones they seldom, if ever see in the shop are Scottys.

Tim

I will be careful what I say here because my experiences with downriggers and factual comments have been censored in the past.

I used a Certain brAnd of dowNrigger for 25 years aNd watched as the cOmpany weNt from a made in the USA, stand behind what you make machine shop to a total big corp sellout. (IMO)

I tried Big Jons for half a season but "I" did not like them (nor did I enjoy ordering parts for 1 month old riggers)

I switched to the toasters (Scotty's, they look like a kitchen appliance but it ends there) and have had them on the boat for about 5 seasons and I like them. When you approach 1000 hours you should keep get a spare counter on board other than that no problems at all. A big plus for me is that they are "Stupid easy"!!! (Even replacing the counter)

Carl what exactly you trying to say :lol:

I have some very very old Scottys and other than a switch and a brake handle that broke (not sure what the heck it hit :wondering: ) they have worked like a champ. Easy to repair if anything should break like a switch or brake handle. Their customer service is TOP NOTCH :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: also. Won't buy any other brand. No power used to put them down and come up like a well tuned sports car :yes:

Started off with Scotty manuals, switched to electrics & at that time there were no Scotty electrics so I bought Big Jon. After breaking a couple of arms & replacing a motor switched back to Scotty Pro Packs which I've had for at least 15 years. Sorry can't sell them since they'll probably work for another 15 years without a problem. Can't understand why anyone would buy anything else.