Location and Rod question

First off, heading over to Lake O July 18-22. My friend lives in Rochester and we'll be staying at his place. His is new to the area also in the last year, but keeps insisting people say salmon fishing isn't the best out of this general area of the lake. Is this true? Would I be advised to go down shore say half an hour or so and try there? I fished Olcott last year for the first time and loved it, but am hoping not to drive over that far from Rochester every day. Second, I want to rig up a couple wire divers and have never fished wire before. Do I need a specific rod, or can I get by with my typical dispy rod? And can someone fill me in on how to attach the wire to the dipsy then? Thanks for the help in advance.

Fishing has been great along the rochester area so far this year. Any rod will work for wire, just dont use mono on a rod that has used wire.

Im on travel, but here's a video on how to tie wire using what I had handy...

qwLB6_J9hxc&feature=plcp

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I do the same knot as shown above just tie the overhand part first. then I attach the swivel. The swivel then is attached to the dipsy. I have never fished Rochester but I have fished the Oak. Fantastic fishing there and I do not think that is too far a ride from Rochester. A half hour to fourty five minutes I would figure. Check on a gps, I could be off it is only a guess not knowing exactly were you are.

Good luck and have a great time.

Thanks guys. I was considering the Oak. Read good things there and prolly about 40 mins away as he lives on southside Rochester. Question about the wire rod. If I do use wire, you said don't go back to mono with same rod but is braid on same rod ok? Much appreciated!