stacking downrigger lines

Would someone please explain to me the proper way to double stack a downrigger. How far do you let your bottom line back behind the boat? how far to let your top back? How far to set them apart? And do you need to release your top rod if you have a fish on the bottom line. I have done some research but it seems like people do it a few different ways. I am looking for the proper and most efficient way to set them up that will prevent tangles. Also does the rod placement matter in the rod holders? I was running my riggers off the side of the boat with bottom rod twords the stern and top rod twords the bow.

Ok here goes , set the first rod and drop weight 10'. Hook the stacker release on the cable and hook on the second rod. Drop it all down to the depth where the fish are!!! I put the deepest rod toward the center of the boat and the stacked rod toward the outside. You can run a slider on the stacked rod too. A fish on the deeper rod should clear the other rod (note SHOULD!!) A fish on the stacked rod is free and clear anyway.

If you get a fish on the lower rod you need to release the stacked rod to reset.. If its on the stacker you only need to bring it up to the stacker release. Your rod placement sounds ok. The lead from the ball can any lengh the stacker lengh I wouldn't streach it back to far. Hope this helps. I am sure others have different ways they do it. I haven't done it in awhile.

I stack with the bottom line rod on the inboard side, stacker towards the outboard. i also generally run the bottom line about 10-15 ft longer than the stacker. If a fish nips & misses the stacker, he generalls heads to deeper water & then has the bottom one right in his face.

Tom B.

(LongLine)