Tica Seaspirits/Better alternative to the Diawa Sealines!

slipbob

I am pretty much a 100% walleye troller so I don't always have a lot to add here but I wanted to share a reel that I've been using heavily for almost two seasons to pull my inline boards that costs less and is built much better than the Sealines I have. They aren't as nice as my Tekotas by any means but very nice. It's the Tica Seaspirits linecounters and they're running around $70 a pop. . The 248 model is comparable in size to the 47 Sealines and the Tica's have a microclick drag and more bearings and a much, much tighter drive system with less reverse handle play.
rodlocker.jpg

Edited by slipbob

Fish Doc ran these reels hard last season to try them out. In his opinion they are one of the best alternatives out there for a line counter. Drags are not Penn drags but in our opinion they are equivalent or better to any Diawa, Okuma, or Tekota drag ou there.

On another note, I fished my first Tekota this year. I think there drag is far from perfect. When you tighten ot loosen a Penn drag, as soon as turn the drag, it is etiher tight or loose. You don't have to strip out 3-4 feet of line to get it the drag to adjust, llike with the Diawas, okumas, and Tekotas (and Ticas). the other phenomona that amazes me is how can you have the drag tighter than you would actually really want it with wire, and yet they still trickle out line when trolling. I don't get it.

Penn is selling a line counter on the 209 frame next year - which caters to their saltwater jigging clients. Dear Penn, Please make a line counter on a Gti frame - the market is ripe for a linecounter with a good drag! BTW, Anyone got any Penn 875 Linecounters arounsd that they would part with?

I'm just getting started my self and have found the Shakespeare linecounters to be very good for the money.

I picked up a few TW20LCL's combos with Bigwater rods for $80 (combo deal) and a TW30LCL for $65 with an Eagle Downrigger rod.

Anyone else have any opinions on the Shakespeare linecounters?

slipbob,

explain a microclick drag??

not sure what that is.

Thanks,

It's basically a drag control that makes a little tiny click as you adjust the star or knob and holds it's place and allows for very precise adjustments. Most good spinning reels have it also. The Sealines don't and just have that tendency to come undone.

On another note, I fished my first Tekota this year. I think there drag is far from perfect. When you tighten ot loosen a Penn drag, as soon as turn the drag, it is etiher tight or loose. You don't have to strip out 3-4 feet of line to get it the drag to adjust, llike with the Diawas, okumas, and Tekotas (and Ticas). the other phenomona that amazes me is how can you have the drag tighter than you would actually really want it with wire, and yet they still trickle out line when trolling. I don't get it.

I have 3 Tekota's and love em to death from a quality standpoint but as far as the drag goes I've found them to be excellent. I guess 20" walleyes don't exactly work the drag as much as 20lb King Salmon though :lol:

When it comes to Tica reels I have only one word : HORRIBLE!

The break is jerking, the "knarr" (the sound when the fish run) suddenly disappear. The DaiwaSG47LCA is much better with fewer problems. A friend of mine is sponsered by Tica. And he don't want to hook a big one because of the disapointment WHEN and not if he lose it.

The best reel I've ever tried is the Tekota and even if the price in Norway are high $556,76 we baught 4 back home, before ordering 8 more from fish307. And the quality of the Tekota is worth every norwegian crown or american dollar!

TeamHelgoya, I have a quick question for you. the finest linecounter I have ever used is the Penn 875 Digital Line Counter, which was actually made for them by Ryobi. I see there is a Ryobi Digital Linecounter, model AD SS 700 that is available in European markets. Have you ever tried one of these or do you know anybody that has. I would be interested to know how they perform. Thanks.

When it comes to Tica reels I have only one word : HORRIBLE!

The break is jerking, the "knarr" (the sound when the fish run) suddenly disappear. The DaiwaSG47LCA is much better with fewer problems. A friend of mine is sponsered by Tica. And he don't want to hook a big one because of the disapointment WHEN and not if he lose it.

The best reel I've ever tried is the Tekota and even if the price in Norway are high $556,76 we baught 4 back home, before ordering 8 more from fish307. And the quality of the Tekota is worth every norwegian crown or american dollar!

Well I certainly agree with you on the Tekotas as being the best trolling reel I own and have tried but I also own 7 Tica's, 4 Seaspirits and 3 Cetus's and they've all been flawless as well even under the rigors of icefishing. I certainly wouldn't describe them as horrible by any means as they've never let me down yet in fact they easily compare to my Shimano's in the quality department IMO!