Whow alot to learn, I'm Ontario ingornant

I fish Lake Erie a lot but the wife and I want to try Salmon fishing on Ontario someday. Could someone pass on some fishing Ontario intelligence. On Erie I troll for walleye using dipsies and 30# braid.

What set up should I use on my poles, line, pound test etc.?

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Spend some time reading the posts on tackle and techniques........there is no right way or wrong way. Braid will be a problem on Ontario due to spinyfleas collecting on your line. Kinda like cottonwood seeds only much worse. You'll probably want to use wire on dipseys. Read, read, read......you'll get it. Maybe take out a charter, it may shorten your learning curve

Just like daker said, read the posts. There is a ton of information on this site. This is my third year fishing Lake O and I'm completely hooked! I was you 3 summers ago and this site helped tremendously. I'm more confident on Ontario than any other lake. The information in the posts here can knock your learning curve way down.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Poor Ray - gets no respect. 8)

I know...but he enjoys it so much. Actually he is very respected. Well known and admired. A true sportsman in his own right....we all need a great man of his stature. All 5 ft 9 inches of him.

We :inlove: you Baldy!...AKA Anothershortfatbaldone, "bare" wrassler, legendary crab catcher! :bow:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I noticed an occasional moment of lucidity - and proper spelling. It's like talking to someone with an accent and realizing it disappears every once in a while.

He's obviously forgotten more about this fishing than I've learned yet. I hope I get the chance to introduce myself and say "Hello" in person eventually.

Your setups will work up until this time of year when the fleas show up. Now you'll want to add 7 strand wire instead of braid. Also may want to add twili tips to your rods.

Run spoons in natural colors, greens and purples. Pick up a couple flasher/fly combos..maybe a white crush glow, a green, and something in chrome, green / white / glow flies behind them should get you bit. Don't get too caught up in the flavor of the day or you'll end up with as much tackle as many of us have and don't use too often. A couple color combos are all you'll need to get started. Watch the classified section for used stuff to save a few bucks.

Check your leaders often for imperfections and use quality ball bearing swivels with welded split rings. Otherwise you'll be donating tackle to the lake. There's nothing more frustrating than trolling for a couple hours for a screamer then having in break off. Run spoons off 20 lb leader and flashers off 30 or 40 lb leader. Leaders rod length or shorter so you can net fish.

Fish in or near the thermocline or look for bait and hooks on your graph on fish in or above them. Make sure your drags as set and in good working order or again you'll be donating to the lake. :devil:

You'll pick up much more info by reading past and future posts but this should get you into some fish. Some of the charters offer educational sessions which will beat up the learning curve for you and probably save you alot of money in the long run.

Maybe post in the open seat/trade a trip section and get a seat with a season salmon guy for the cost of gas and maybe lunch, with the loc derby going on some guys are just looking for someone else with a derby pass to fish with, but be careful, there's at least one guy on here that likes to drive in the BUFF...Sorry Ray, I couldn't resist.

Never be afraid to ask questions on this site, and don't get discouraged if you don't get answers right away, remember there are many derbies/tournaments going on around the lake and sometimes things get tight lipped. Best time to get good answers is in the off season or when no money is on the line.

Good luck and please post when you get your first reel burner...we like to see progress.

I noticed an occasional moment of lucidity - and proper spelling. It's like talking to someone with an accent and realizing it disappears every once in a while.

A true sportsman in his own right....we all need a great man of his stature. All 5 ft 9 inches of him.

Should have been "in his own mind" and 5 ft. 2 inches of him. :lol::mooning:

me :ninja: :yer: :mooning:

http://www.attheoak.com/ .

This site above has some condensed info that will keep ya from lookin all over the place. Yes we have 10,000 guys willin to tell ya 2000 ways to run a dyspy but ya gotta look at 4000 post to put it all togeather..

The oak will help ya learn the basics and ya know sometimes thats all ya need ..(90%) .. but with the daily reports here from all over the lake will give you a good idea what ports are "smokin" when yer headin up .. But to be honest once ya learn the basics you should be able to go to anywhere on the lake and get fish...