Canandaigua report

Um I am not sure why I even bother to trout fish in September, hit the north end Sunday and Monday, not even a touch Sunday. However Monday ran spoons and wire dipsies, then switched to 11" flashers with A Tom Mik flies and had 3 releases but could not keep the fish hooked. Hits were on the bottom west side north of German Bros. in about 80 FOW or so. Temp at bottom was 49*, can't wait for October and November cuz I am ready to put September away for another year.

HI FLXTroutman,

Been wondering what's been going on down there on Canandaigua Lake.

Haven't seen any reports from you lately. Sorry to hear you had a tough couple days :( . Can't always be "easy" :lol:.

Almost came down on Sat., but opted for salmon off of Sandy instead. Glad I did too - very good morning up there (see Sandy 9/22 - A.M.report)

I'll be down there soon, so leave some fish for me :) . Take care.

GOOD FISHING!

LTtroller

(Bob)

Hey Flxtroutman. Ive been lurking here for a while, reading the posts, finally registered. Sorry to hear that things have shut off for you in September on Canandaigua. I had a very slow July, but since about the second week in August the fishing has been pretty much outstanding. I fish a lot in the same area you did this week, North end pump house to Tichenor pnt. I havent been out since last week when we put 7 lakers a brown and a nice 4lb bow in the box in about 3 hours. Sunday the 16th we boated 5 of 10 hits in less than 2 hours. Both of those trips were evenings......Best action on Sutton 25 for lakers, orange stinger for the 'bows. I would love to have the kind of success on my flashers and flies that you have, but they dont seem to produce for me. Cant figure out why. I will pull the boat soon, archery season is almost here, but I will keep tabs on your reports. Good luck! :)

Dan

FLXTroutman,

I will pm you when I start heading your way to see about hooking up for a trip.

From the pictures I saw of your rig on your summer posts, I think are boats are probably about the same size - but if I recall correctly you were set up with riggers. I have a 17' Tracker w/ 1 mini rigger that I have not used very much or very effectively for that matter, so I have stuck to the "reliable" fish catcher - the Seth Green rig. :)

Catch ya later.

LTtroller

(Bob)

Well my wife keeps asking me "why do you need a bigger boat"? I guess, I am set up pretty well, sometimes I think it's just a matter of having 2 riggers and 2 wires out there working and bringing the fish into the spread. I do run 1 manual rigger with sub troll and one mag 10 with positive ion control, and if I have 3 people on board I run in line boards with sticks and snap weights, usually get bow or brown off those rigs. Next I would like a mast system and big boards since I do lose a few on the inline boards due to amount of line out and inevitable slack when those bows run towards the boat or jump 3 or 4 times. Maybe luv2fish and LTtroller can both come out on the FLXTroutman so I can get the "super spread" going, also I never put the boat away, I like to fish when it's snowing, windy, calm, sunny, I have yet to launch at Onanda in the dead of winter but I am going to try this year if we have another lackluster snowfall like the last couple years.

Hi FLXTroutman,

Sounds good to me! I usually put my boat up around mid-late November, but often wish I would not have with the recent mild winters. I would be game to go anytime.

I recently picked up a planer mast and a couple boards, and just today bought a seat base to try and adapt it to the mast. Never used them so this may be a big learning experience, but hopefully will be worth the time & effort. With my smaller boat, "spreading" things out should allow me to run more lines without tangles :) .

Talk to ya later.

LTtroller

(Bob)

Catching fish on light rods off the boards is good fun, especially when you are used to the Seth Green rigs. No weight or dipsey means the only thing you are fighting is the fish. My boat is an I/O, so after I winterize it I am out of the water until late March. I would be game for a winter trip with you guys, as long as its after deer season! Onanda actually has a pretty good launch site, nice ramp and deep water. Lets see what winter brings.

Dan