Bear Creek: 7-3-12 (son's first 20+lber)

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Outta Line

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 7-3-12

Time on Water: 7-10am

Weather/Temp: 70-80's

Wind Speed/Direction: west/calm

Waves: <1

Surface Temp: 69-70

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 7

Total Boated: 5

Species Breakdown: 3 kings, small coho and a laker

Hot Lure: white SD/green or blue hammer fly and yellow NBK

Trolling Speed: 2.5-3.0

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 140-210

Lure Depth: 80, 90 & 110 on riggers, 200' on mag diver, 300 on normal dipsy

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Great day to be on the water and wish we could have stayed out longer, but alas a party this afternoon is calling our name. My son and I were able to slide out for a couple of hours this morning and the fishing continues to cooperate. We set up in 120foot 3 riggers and 2 divers and went north west into the currents and small chop. First fish came on the diver....300foot back a white glow crush with green hammer fly and he lost it 40 foot from the boat. Guess was a laker, by the way it played. Shortly there after we took another hit on the 90' rigger with the yellow NBK and a nice 6 lb laker. We started to slip out deeper and over 170foot, took a small coho on the same 90' rigger. Then the mag diver ripped and I was into a decent 14lb king, that played like a larger fish. Still happy all the same. While i was hauling that in, the same 90' rigger went peeling line and my son Josh was into a steelie or small king, is my guess, but it ran to the surface...took one jump and gave us our lure back!!! Well win some you lose some.

At this point we had slid out to 220 and the screen was blank and I reset the lines and made a SE troll back to the 140 foot line that held bait and fish earlier. No hits.....kind of a small lull in the action for about an hour from 8:45 to 9:45 and we were planning on pulling lines around 10. I made one more turn to head north west to the 170 foot line again, where we had last marked some nice fish around 100-120 foot down. Next thing you know the mag diver set at 220 foot back with a white green crush SD and blue hammer fly starts SCREAMING.....and fast. I handed the line to Josh and said he aint done. That fish passed 300 foot like nothing....I looked at Josh and said he's just getting started. Ripped line past 400 foot and was still flying. I tightened the drag a bit to slow him down and he did around 460 foot back. I started yanking lines and Josh fought it for the next 20-25 minutes. And then his largest King Salmon to date (he's 14yo) hit the deck and the smiles and hi fives began!

That my friends is a large smile and what makes a dad's heart beat proudly! The king was released to fight another day!!!! :) Tight lines everyone and Happy 4th of July!!!

IMG_20120703_00154.jpg

Thanks guys.....it was definately a "priceless" kind of moment! Funnier part was when he looks at me and says, so if I get a 25lb'r can I mount him? Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm.........