in the market for a new boat

im looking to expand my fishingboundaries i would like to come out to lake erie and lake ontario to go fishing. i live in clifton park ny and it gets a lil boring out her fishing sometimes. the travel doesnt bother me at all i love to drive. i drive a full size dodge ram 1500 short box 4 wheel drive with a 5 inch lift kit and it has a 5.9 for a motor so it has power to pull anything. now here is my question. my 2 sons have been in a 14 foot row boat andone is ok with it but the other hates it i want to get a bigger boat but i want it big enough to beable to handle both erie and ontario, and keep in mind that i have never been on either lake before? help....

Used but well cared for 22-25' hardtop w/minimum 260 hp engine and a kicker for trolling and safety. Sportcraft 252, 222, Trophy 2460' 2160 2459, 2352, Baha are some common makes and models. Great market still. You will need $8,000 to $20,000 depending on vintage and condition. Low ball fixer uppers are out there, count on throwing a slug of $ into any project boat.

Don't forget the acronym: B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand. Quite true.

If you go for a smaller aluminum be very aware of conditions and safety. 18' minimum, main and kicker engines for redundancy. I like Starcraft. Expect used prices in the $3,500 to $10,000 depending on vintage and condition.

Boat us has towing/trailering insurance and is a good source of info to get started.

Respect the lake's power and remember many problems go from inconvenient to life threatening due to a failure to have VHF radio, cell phone, gps, life vests or a working bilge pump. Operator panic is another source of coast guard activity.

The Great lakes are an awesome resource. My 22' trophy hardtop is on a trailer or docked depending on what fishing I am planning onErie or Ontario.

Jarrett

Take a ride to some of the marina's on the lake look at some of the boats and set-ups to get an idea, ask questions, go from there before investing big bucks. you get what you pay for, look at cost to maintain the boat and operate, lotta facts to consider but I'm sure you know that.

You all habe been a huhe help in showing or telling me what to look for as far as power wise and size wise for a motor and a boat for me to beable to enjoy a safe trip out on the lake. Also there is no way that i would ever go out on the water without a radio or cellphone thays just askin for trouble. And i have a gps allready thats waitin for me to install it in a boat and a spent a decent amount on it. it has life time updates for free i thought it was money well spent and maybe hopefully soon i might see some of you out there fishin...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I third REEL POWER's post....but adding my two cents. I am not a fan of Aluminum crafts on the lake when it starts to get choppy.....just too noisy for me. And when your 5-7 miles off shore, it can go from calm to choppy to 3 footers, in the time it takes you to pull lines and get ready to run back. I have been fishing on Grady's for the last 10 years and a Starcraft for 20years before that....both handle extremely well in the chop and waves that occur out here. Deep V hull designs are going to be your best bet.

DEFINATELY two motors....main drive and a kicker, what a comfort knowing I can still get back if the main engine dies (and it has already twice this year, for a stupid anti-siphon valve, but lets not talk about that).

And lastly.....double whatever you think your gonna spend! :) I got my current boat last year for $5K and then promptly put about $4k into just about anything and everything. Stuff to get the trailer upto inspection level, tackle and equipment for the boat, new electronics....etc. I think there are some incredibly awesome boats on this site for sale right now that if I wanted to upgrade, I would take in a heartbeat. Think what or how your gonna use the boat and ask any of us our thoughts. If I had to do it all over again, two things I would have looked harder at getting already on the boat. FIRST is an AUTOPILOT.....even if its just my son and I out fishing, it can get hard to keep the boat straight, while he is reeling in a fish and keeping it out of lines, let alone if we get a double or a triple going. On windy days (and that can be common up here) an autopilot would make that SOOOOOOOOO much easier to manage. SECOND, would be overhear rocket launcher's to get my rods out of the way more. I figured I could manage without this, but realizing I much rather have it than not.

Okay...that was my three cents. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Welcome!!!!!

20120706_132500.jpg

Its a 1985 ebtide riviera 17ft bowrider

How about this one i just found a pic of it i was doin a shearch and found it. What i know so far is in the post it has a short in the ignition now i have been turning wrenches for over 20 years so wiring isnt a problem he said he is askin $1000 but will take 800 if picked up today??

Well this is the thing i have a little bit of money but i was tryin to get rid of my construction tools and my mechanic tools and tool boxes everything added up is just ober $10,000 if not more. and id be willing to trade for a boat straight up tools for boat but not sure if anyone will doesnt hurt to ask though

• 3 years later...